Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: question on Singer 201 FMQ

  1. #1
    Super Member ontheriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Selma Alabama
    Posts
    2,781
    I have my mega quilter on a frame but was using cheap brother to quilt small items like table runners, boo hoo the brother broke today. I know you can FMQ on a Singer 201. Question is what foot do I use? Do I have to order a special foot? Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member kwendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Coastal Florida
    Posts
    956
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheriver
    I have my mega quilter on a frame but was using cheap brother to quilt small items like table runners, boo hoo the brother broke today. I know you can FMQ on a Singer 201. Question is what foot do I use? Do I have to order a special foot? Thanks for any help.
    Good question. I don't have my 201 back from the shop yet... but, I understand that Cindy over at Sew-Classic has different aftermarket emboidery/FMQ feet that will work on the different vintage machines. I don't know which ones particularly. Some people use the OEM Singer darning feet (low shank - vintage parts). Some use the newer 'hopping' plastic feet, but I believe I've heard that not all the feet work well with the various low shank vintage machines.

    You might also do a Search on here. The VSMS (Vintage Sewing Machine Shoppe) group has a lot of knowledge. If you haven't already posed the question to the VSMS, you should.

  3. #3
    Super Member thepolyparrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,027
    The darning foot from your Brother should fit your 201. :)

    I have at least 10 different darning feet from very expensive vintage to fairly expensive modern to cheap modern - and my favorite is the $2.99 plastic/metal one for low shank machines from sew-classic.com

    Also, if you have a vintage quilting foot (a very short-toed foot with no "flex" at the ankle and a quilting guide attached to the back) for your 201, you can pull the quilting guide out of it and use it for free-motion quilting. (if you can decrease the pressure on the presser bar sufficiently to allow free movement of the quilt between stitches)

  4. #4
    Super Member ontheriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Selma Alabama
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    The darning foot from your Brother should fit your 201. :)

    I have at least 10 different darning feet from very expensive vintage to fairly expensive modern to cheap modern - and my favorite is the $2.99 plastic/metal one for low shank machines from sew-classic.com

    Also, if you have a vintage quilting foot (a very short-toed foot with no "flex" at the ankle and a quilting guide attached to the back) for your 201, you can pull the quilting guide out of it and use it for free-motion quilting. (if you can decrease the pressure on the presser bar sufficiently to allow free movement of the quilt between stitches)
    Thank you, will try the foot from the brother in the morning. Too tired now, was wondering why my mouse cursor would not move then I noticed it was a bug on the screen, LOL, so better not try anything new tonight.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    I am putting this into the VSMS virtual forum for more views and I am betting that some folks in there will have a good answer for you!

    Billy

  6. #6
    Super Member sewbeadit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    3,067
    Didn't they have a spring thingy that they used for quilting on those older machines? Seems to me there is, but can't remember for sure.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbeadit
    Didn't they have a spring thingy that they used for quilting on those older machines? Seems to me there is, but can't remember for sure.
    Some did but with all of my machines but one I just loosen the tension up on the presserfoot to none at all and drop the feed dogs to FMQ. I have a White that I have a hopping foot for that works like a charm.

    Billy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.