Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question >

A question

A question

Old 07-18-2016, 12:37 AM
Power Poster

That is a really tough question. I have let the ribbons go with the quilt thinking it is best for the ribbon to stay with what won the ribbon. Anyways, after winning a lot of ribbons with my quilts, I just don't know who is going to want them.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:35 AM

In my opinion, the ribbon belongs to the person who made the quilt as it was given in recognition of the quality of work that went into the quilt. It means nothing to the recipient of the quilt and I'm sure they would generally be happy to just have a photo of the quilt with the ribbon. Just my thoughts.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:18 AM

This is a no brainer - the person who make the quilt. The person who received the quilt had nothing to do with the construction of the quilt which is what the quilt is judged on.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

This has not happened to me but I have heard of plenty of longarmers this has happened to. They longarm a quilt and are paid for their services, the owner enters it in the show and are awarded a ribbon for "Best longarm Quilting".

9 times out of 10 the owner of the quilt keeps that ribbon. There have even been a few cases I have heard where the longarmer isn't even credited as having quilted the quilt. It happens. Some shows (like MQX) will give two ribbons. One for the piecer and one for the quilter.

As for the OP question, I am of the opinion the ribbon should go to the maker of the quilt, especially if they were the ones who entered it (even though they already gifted the quilt to another).

If I make a quilt I plan on gifting and showing, I will show the quilt before gifting it.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:20 AM

Would like to take this a step further if I may. I was recently contracted to make a quilt. My design etc. Customer has paid me etc. I still have the quilt as I am going to enter it in the fair this year with her blessings. IF I get a ribbon, do I still keep it? Reason for this ? is I have been paid for the quilt. Opinions please.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

Would like to take this a step further if I may. I was recently contracted to make a quilt. My design etc. Customer has paid me etc. I still have the quilt as I am going to enter it in the fair this year with her blessings. IF I get a ribbon, do I still keep it? Reason for this ? is I have been paid for the quilt. Opinions please.

If you explain your situation to the quilt committee at the fair and ask there should be no problem with you getting a second non recorded ribbon for the quilt. I know our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, place ribbons are in a big box, get as many as you need for the judging. The Best in Show and Grand Champion ribbons are numbered though. I have been working with my our local fair for years and there are rules but mostly they are guidelines and many exceptions are made that doesn't effect the outcome one way or the other.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:22 AM

Catsden,
If you haven't transferred possession to the customer yet, I would count it as an "advance" and still enter it & keep the ribbon. Especially since she told you you could keep it until the competition, I don't think you'll have any issues. Be sure to carefully document any prize and pass along that paperwork/documentation to the client in case she wants to get her quilt appraised.

Perhaps you could also contact the show coordinator & ask if they are able to provide an additional ribbon for the quilt owner in the event a client's quilt wins (might be a small extra charge for that if they do -- but others have them specially printed & aren't able to accommodate requests for extra ribbons so it just depends).

If you're still concerned after that, I would address it directly with the client. If you've never won a ribbon before, let her know that & apologize for not discussing how to handle this earlier. Then offer some options to her to help document the win (if you win -- hope you do!) -- details about show so she can come see it & take pictures of/with it at the show, program if it lists what quilts were chosen or a letter from the committee if it's a curated show to demonstrate that your/her quilt was selected to competition, maybe a photo of both of you receiving the ribbon together, and any certificate(s) that you get showing the win (could give her the original & keep a copy for yourself -- or vice versa). I really think most clients are quite reasonable about things like this, but not all of them. If I ever go back to doing commissioned quilts again (one too many requests to do things that weren't making me happy -- so now I just make what I love & then find a seller), I'm really getting to the point that I would put on my order form that any proceeds from the quilt that occur prior to transfer of possession will be retained by me and transferred at my sole personal discretion. I've been really lucky to have wonderful clients but all this monkey business I hear about online and from quilting colleagues in real life just makes the need for a well-crafted agreement at the time of initial deposit seem all the more essential.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:48 AM

Thanks for all the answers. I am not the maker of this quilt. A dear young friend is. The giftee is a rather superior acting young woman and tends to bully my young friend. Irritates me to no end. It would take me a nano second to straighten the giftee out and, believe me, I would be giving her nothing else.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
That is a really tough question. I have let the ribbons go with the quilt thinking it is best for the ribbon to stay with what won the ribbon. Anyways, after winning a lot of ribbons with my quilts, I just don't know who is going to want them.
My mother kept everything. When she and my dad moved, she gave me a box of all the horse show ribbons I won as a teen. I was in my 30's and really had no interest in them. I looked thru them, laughed about some, remembered some good times and chucked them all in the trash. I won them. I knew I won them. I didn't have to have the ribbon to remember that.

Some day when I retire and don't have an office with huge shelves in it, I'll probably box up my car show trophies and get rid of some of them. Nobody really wants most of the stuff. Trophies are plastic now and not made well like my dad's 300 game bowling trophy that no one wanted and I took and still have on the mantle.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
My mother kept everything. When she and my dad moved, she gave me a box of all the horse show ribbons I won as a teen. I was in my 30's and really had no interest in them. I looked thru them, laughed about some, remembered some good times and chucked them all in the trash. I won them. I knew I won them. I didn't have to have the ribbon to remember that. Some day when I retire and don't have an office with huge shelves in it, I'll probably box up my car show trophies and get rid of some of them. Nobody really wants most of the stuff. Trophies are plastic now and not made well like my dad's 300 game bowling trophy that no one wanted and I took and still have on the mantle.
I agree with your mother. I kept all my son's medals and ribbons and now that he is deceased they are in a treasured scrap book and I cannot imagine having disposed of them! Your ribbons may seem like junk to you but mothers are like that, and in my case I am twice glad I saved things.

As for the show ribbon... I'd say it belongs to the quilt maker, along with a picture of the quilt, the quilt show program and perhaps a note with the recipients name- to be put in a scrap book. The recipient gets the quilt and a quilt show program with the ribbon winner's name listed in it.