Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on washable markers >

Question on washable markers

Question on washable markers

Old 08-04-2015, 07:04 AM

Default Question on washable markers

Those of you who have used the washable markers to mark quilting lines, what color did you find worked best on white fabrics? Thanks for any help.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:08 AM

I just bought a package of those and thought I would take some white fabric and mark all the colors on it, then wash it. Maybe I'll have time to do that today (although between babysitting the DGD, the pest people coming (ants and mice!), and having to get my glasses fixed at some point...). Okay! I'll go mark it right now, before the madness begins, and get back to you later!!
Old 08-04-2015, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
I just bought a package of those and thought I would take some white fabric and mark all the colors on it, then wash it. Maybe I'll have time to do that today (although between babysitting the DGD, the pest people coming (ants and mice!), and having to get my glasses fixed at some point...). Okay! I'll go mark it right now, before the madness begins, and get back to you later!!
I also just bought them at the school supply sale. I tried the yellow, grey, pink, and orange on a scrap of white then rinsed in cold water in sink. All seemed to come out but scrap is still drying so I don't know if there will be any shadowing or if the length of time before washing has any effect on things. Just wondered if anyone with experience using these has any hints or tips.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:37 AM

If you are testing the Ultra Clean Washable Crayola Fine Tipped Marking Pens, be sure to iron them also. That way you will know if they work if you hit the fabric with the iron before you wash the ink out. When I ironed my piece, it did wash out even though I ironed it.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

For white fabric, I usually use a purple be gone and mark as I stitch. Never had a problem before.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:11 AM

I like purple or blue the best. They seem to come out the quickest for me. But I've used red as well on a pure white background & that also came out no problem after a minute or two of hand agitation. I've learned to put a Color Catcher into the tub for that first soak to keep me from panicking that the white has absorbed the marker. Of course, if you don't forget about your quilt soaking for 30 minutes, that might not be a problem in any case.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:26 AM

I've used all the colors of different kind of Crayola washable markers and all the marks/lines have come out in the wash. Love them!
Old 08-04-2015, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
I've used all the colors of different kind of Crayola washable markers and all the marks/lines have come out in the wash. Love them!
Glad to hear that, since I haven't had a chance to test them yet. I just bought some of the Ultra-Clean ones the other day.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:35 AM

I have used the Crayola washable markers as well as the CraZart washable markers. I use them all and have never had any issues with them out completely. But do test on all fabrics before using on a quilt, as there may be that one troublesome fabric!
Old 08-04-2015, 12:52 PM

Thank you all, going to try them out on a quilt in the next few days. The quilt is from the book Quilting Wide Open Spaces by Judi Madsen and there is a lot to mark.

Last edited by ontheriver; 08-04-2015 at 12:57 PM.