Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A questions for hand quilters >

A questions for hand quilters

A questions for hand quilters

Old 12-23-2015, 04:59 AM

Default A questions for hand quilters

I am fairly new to hand quilting--doing only small wall hanging projects. But I just finished hand quilting most of a twin sized quilt. I don't have a frame and really don't want to get one, and I found a hoop to be so cumbersome. So when I sandwich my quilt, I spray baste and pin and use nothing to hand quilt. On this larger quilt, I have found some areas on the backing that have puckered and not laying smoothly because of not being held tight in a hoop or frame. Now I need to figure out how to fix those areas. Any suggestions? Do you hand quilters use a hoop, a frame, or nothing? Do you not find hoops or frames hard to work with?
Old 12-23-2015, 05:14 AM

I have always used a hoop and it worked fine for me. But everyone has there own ideas on what works. I no longer hand quilt because of arthritis but it was my favorite thing to do in the evening while watching tv I use to sit in a straight back chair and have my quilt resting on a card table so the weight was not on me. don't know if that makes sense to you. Good luck in what ever you decide
Old 12-23-2015, 05:16 AM

I mostly use a hoop to hand quilt but not always. I think I would find a frame difficult because I just wiggle around too much to get comfortable when I'm quilting (or any other time for that matter). My suggestion would be if the puckering is not horrible, leave it as it is. Otherwise I think your only option would be to rip and redo and that may end up being most of the quilt. If you used a cotton batting, your quilt will pucker in the washing/drying process and those areas on the back will probably not be noticeable.

When sandwiching, I use my cutting table and larger binder/bulldog clips to get all the layers as taut as possible. Depending on the size of the quilt, I will either pin or thread baste. In either case, I pin/thread about a hand-width apart in both directions beginning in the center of the quilt. Don't usually have many issues with puckering. I do find it important, however, (lessons learned) to check both sides of the sandwich as I quilt for smoothness as I go along.

Perhaps you have a hoop that is just too large for you? I use the cheapies from JAF. Perhaps try a smaller one and see if that makes things easier for you?
Old 12-23-2015, 05:18 AM

I don't know how to fix your backing without seeing how bad it is, but I can give advice for the next time.

There are lots of quilters who prefer not to use a frame or hoop, but the key is to baste really really well. That prevents the back from shifting. I also recommend starting at the center and quilt out from there, being careful that the back doesn't pucker.

Janet
Old 12-23-2015, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

I agree, your basting is the problem. I can hand quilt but seldom enjoy doing it but I don't use a hoop. Basting is important to keep the three layer together where they belong, thus the reason why a frame is helpful. If you don't use a frame, the basting become more imperative to keep the layers together just the same way as in machine quilting. You don't want the layers to have an opportunity to shift.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:57 AM

See if you can find any of the books by Georgia Bonesteel. She had a show on PBS back in the 70's called "Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel" and she didn't use a hoop or frame. She has a show on CreateTV that shows in my area on Sunday afternoons.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:03 AM

I love to lap quilt. I sandwich the quilt and baste it on my sewing machine...with the longest stitch length,with water soluable thread with about a 4 inch grid. It works great.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHG...YJXGsfVBnXoTBA this is a good video with Georgia Bonesteel.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHG...YJXGsfVBnXoTBA this is a good video with Georgia Bonesteel.
Tessagin, which one of the videos discusses hand quilting? When I click on the link, I get a dozen or more different videos and none of the titles are descriptive enough to find it.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:04 AM

*** I have used both. I prefer my Hinterberg floor frame.