Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A questions for hand quilters >

A questions for hand quilters

A questions for hand quilters

Old 12-25-2015, 06:13 AM

Another hand quilter here, frameless and hoopless. Mainly because when I started, I did not know how to quilt by machine. I have found using Elmer's Washable School Glue, that old school favorite, works for me. Holds much longer and without the chemicals of spray adhesives. The larger the quilt, the longer it takes to finish, the more it will be moved around. Just make sure you use washable school glue, use only as much as is needed, some use dots, some use swirls. It you get a clump, smooth it out before it dries. I put the batting down first, swirl the glue, put backing down, smooth like crazy (LOL), if needed to hurry the process, I iron to help dry the glue. If not needed, just let dry. Flip everything over the next morning, batting side up, swirl the glue, put the top down and smooth like crazy. I let dry overnight, I have gotten tiny tucks here and there but after washing, could not find them again.

So it really depends on how much "puckering" you are getting. Is it small enough that after washing,it won't be noticeable? Or in your heart, you know you will have to take it out?? Only you can decide how "bad" it really is and what you can or cannot live with. Good luck and welcome to hand quilting!!
Old 12-25-2015, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

When I tried to link the video it evidently came up as different tour videos. Sorry. Just Google. Sharon Shamberg has good videos on hand quilting. Basting is very important as others have stated. Coupe hand quilters I've met at shows have their quilts basted fairly close so the sandwich doesn't shift.
Originally Posted by katybob View Post
Tessagin, which one of the videos discusses hand quilting? When I click on the link, I get a dozen or more different videos and none of the titles are descriptive enough to find it.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:11 PM

I suggest you try to find a Hinterberg floor frame; the tilt and rotate so you can get to every part of your quilt before you have to move it. Try one out.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:03 PM

I use a quilting frame on baby, twin, queen, and king quilts. I use a hoop on smaller items. It is cumbersome, but you get a better quilting job. After you have used these a while, you will adapt to them. Borrow one from someone you know and try it out before you buy.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:37 PM

i have used a hoop for all my hand quilting projects for years. some minis or small wall hangings i use one of my old scroll frames. i have had arthritis in my hands since teens. few years ago it became so painful i could no longer hold the hoop. i saw an ad for theragloves. bought a pair. then bought a couple more pair. i have one in my sewing box, one by my bed for reading (hurts to hold a paperback book, can't hold a hardback book at all). then i bought my elderly friend a pair. i'm getting ready to buy each of us a new pair as we have worn ours out & mended the cuffs several times. took ten years, but they are finslly wearing out. sometimes i can do nothing at all, not even push a shopping cart w/o my theragloves on.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I've been quilting since I was 7, never knew of the rules. back then I just did pillows and a quilt for my new baby sister. I never had a hoop, so I just baste very well and go from there. I tape the backing down, add the batt and top and baste. good luck on your quilt. you may just have to live with it.
that's the method i learned & still use. i only spray baste fo machine quilting flannel quilts. all of my hand quilting is thread basted.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:04 AM

I hand baste mine, then use a hoop that I use that I bought at a local quilt shop. I prefer my 14 in hoop. I baste it first and simply hold it on my lap while I watch tv. I always start quilting in the center of the quilt and work outward to the edges from there. That way I can check the back back and undo any of the basting stitches to smooth out any puckers. However, since the quilt is smooth in the hoop, I just don't get puckers.