Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions on Machine Quilting the first time >

Questions on Machine Quilting the first time

Questions on Machine Quilting the first time

Old 10-22-2016, 05:07 PM

How about quilting diagonally through the squares and cornerstones using a medium gray or blue cotton thread. I've never had much success with invisible thread. Staying in the ditch is also a challkenge for me.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

I want to chime in about stitch in the ditch also. For me, it's one of the most difficult ways to quilt with a walking foot! Requires a lot of concentration, and I am never satisfied with my ability to stay in the ditch (or keep an even distance from it). I like the idea of doing diagonals to avoid having to do SITD. Also, you may want to consider a more modern alternative, which is to use a walking foot to make wavy lines through the quilt. This is actually easier than trying to make straight lines as there is no "wrong" way to do it. There are a number of tutorials online, and you can Google "wavy quilting lines" and click on "images" to see some of the possibilities. I will link a few here:
http://sewsweetness.com/2011/09/back...and-other.html
http://bastingbeauty.com/2014/03/25/...wavy-quilting/
http://betteroffthread.com/2013/03/0...ting-tutorial/
https://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/...l-habitat.html
Old 10-22-2016, 06:09 PM

I started to ask if FMQing in the ditch might be easier, but I'm not ready to tackle that yet. I'm picking up my 15-91 on Monday, which will be my FMQ machine. However, the best machine in the world will not make up for lack of experience.

I think I will make up some dummy squares and see what works best and is easiest. I'm into doing what will be successful. As I go forward, I'll be able to tackle more difficult techniques. Failure is discouraging, so I don't want to go there.

I have some left over Warm and Natural 80/20 from my last project. Will it be much different from the 100 cotton?

bkay
Old 10-22-2016, 06:18 PM

Bkay,
FMQing in the ditch is usually harder because you need to manage both to stay in the ditch & to keep stitch length consistent.
The 80/20 is noticeably higher loft than W&N (which isn't 100% cotton, but something like 87% cotton & 13% synthetic scrim). It's not an enormous difference, but it is visible. The bonding process is also different, requiring a quilting distance of no more than 5" to preserve the batt (which I would argue is still too far apart for a child's utility quilt).
Old 10-22-2016, 07:07 PM

I'm talking about using my scraps of 80/20 to practice stitch in the ditch with some dummy squares. Will it handle much differently than the cotton? It's just an experiment, and will probably go in the trash when I learn what I need to know. It will not get washed ir used, so that is not an issue. It's just a practice item.

If it will be that different, I probably have enough leftovers from the batting I bought for the I spy quilt to make up a couple of dummies to experiment with. I just wanted it pristine when I got ready to sandwich the quilt.

So, does it handle that differently?

bkay
Old 10-22-2016, 07:09 PM
Power Poster

There won't be a lot of difference. I would go ahead and use the scraps for practice. They will work fine.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:16 AM

As long as you use polyester invisible thread you will be ok. Use regular thread in the bobbin. The newer polyester invisible threads work very well.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:32 AM

I don't know what machine you have, but there is a "stitch-in-the-ditch" foot for my Pfaff. I stitched in the ditch for a wall hanging and found it much harder than I had expected. Then, my quilt shop had me try the new foot. It was like a miracle. The foot has a sort of prow, and it just makes it easy to stay right in the ditch.

Last edited by waltonalice; 10-23-2016 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-23-2016, 03:36 AM

I agree with Bree...for a child's quilt, it really should be quilted much closer than 10 inches. I just gifted a Warm Wishes quilt to our new nephew which I simply used my walking foot to do cross hatching about 2 inches apart. You could use light color thread on top and dark blue in your bobbin. I would post a picture but I haven't figured out how to do it from my new Ipad (sigh).
Old 10-23-2016, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

I haven't used the mono-filament thread in quite a while because I have enough trouble threading colored thread. Since you have all these wonderful and bright colors, why not use a variegated thread on the top. I like using variegated thread on a quilt top as it adds another dimension to the quilt. Instead of quilting in the ditch, perhaps you might try quilting with cross-hatching through the blocks, corner to corner, as it will actually take a little less time than in the ditch. I really like your quilt. Thanks for sharing.