Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions on making Art quilts >

Questions on making Art quilts

Questions on making Art quilts

Old 04-03-2014, 11:21 AM

I've also heard of people using wash-away stabilizer; they lay out all their crazy scraps, put the stabilizer over the top and then stitch like mad all over the place to tack down the fabric. The stabilizer keeps things from moving or getting caught on the machine's foot. I think this is a really interesting technique but I wonder how often they have bits fall off when the stabilizer gets washed away!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:30 PM

This is my project. The pieces are a little overlapped. The "binding" is a lot of little strips stuck together on a piece of parchment paper then cut down into the "binding." Everything is fused. The bigger shapes are stitched with straight stiching on the edges. And I did FMQ around the flower petals. There's stippling with varigated thread over the strippy sections.

If you do this, be sure to use parchment (or release paper) on the top too when you iron everything.

sorry it's not a better picture
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014, 12:40 PM

Quilting Arts on PBS with Pokey Bolton is an excellent source with a great variety of techniques. There is also a Quilting Arts magazine. I get an email from them and they offer free ezines to be downloaded. One of their quests has been an artist who lives in NC named Susan Knapp. Her work is amazing and this is her website for more inspiration http://wwwbluemoonriver.blogspot.com/ Have fun !!!
Old 04-03-2014, 02:43 PM

Extremely narrow widths can also be pieced with ease. Jean Wells does it often in her quilts and it is covered in at least two of her books, probably more. Dena Crain teaches another method. Look on the web for 'insert piecing' and 'narrow insert piecing'.

They way I do it is to use the LEFT side of my presser foot as a guide and run it down the stitching line of last seam that I made. The fabric you're adding goes underneath what you've already sewn, right side up. I've gone as narrow as 1/8" using the notch on my 1/4" foot. It's really quite easy once you get the hang of sewing on the 'wrong' side. This is the method taught by Joen Wolfrom in her book, Landscape and Illusions. She refers to her technique as the 1/4" precision sewing method.

Sheila Frampton-Cooper, the artist whose work is on the AQ cover, does not use fusible. She pieces her quilts. She has also been featured in Quilting Arts Magazine.

Last edited by ghostrider; 04-03-2014 at 02:51 PM.