Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions About Making String Quilts >

Questions About Making String Quilts

Questions About Making String Quilts

Old 12-23-2014, 07:57 PM

Default Questions About Making String Quilts

I am planning to make my first string quilt after the holidays. What I have in mind is the common design of strips of fabric sewn together then cut in the square block size with the strips on the diagonal across the block. My questions are: (1) is a separate foundation necessary? (2). If yes, do you recommend a muslin or paper foundation and what are the pros/cons of each? (3) are there any other tips or potential issues I should know? Thanks for your advice!
Old 12-23-2014, 08:07 PM

I have done all of mine on paper. I have seen pictures of them done without foundation--but I'd worry about stretching. If you use muslin, it won't be removed, so that takes away one step vs. paper. The quilt would have an extra layer of fabric, so I assume it would be warmer.

Something to watch for: if you use a single color in the center of each block to create a pattern, position it carefully and consistently, so it will line up across blocks. String blocks are very forgiving since they don't have to match along the sides, but the center strip is important if you want to create a pattern across the quilt.

Have fun--these are my favorite blocks to make!
Old 12-23-2014, 08:52 PM
Power Poster

great advice.
i'd use a light wt fabric, maybe muslin white prewashed. that has a tendency to shrink a lot, and selvages not so much. PLEASE, show us your blocks. love string blocks.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:01 PM

I have made three string quilts. My first one I used no foundation and only a kite shape to begin with and added strings on both sides. My 2nd and 3rd, I used fabric that was really thin and a pale neutral color as my foundation. I cut pieces of it into about 6.5 inch size and then began sewing on strings. # 2 I used a common fabric for my center starting strip so that made the design in the centers look joined. My 3rd, I again used really thin fabric and sewed selvedges. I did that one as QAYG. I really like the idea of using the thin fabric (muslin would be great, too as Lynnie said) because I hate ripping off the paper. I just used a lightweight batting and they were just right when quilted. After the strips were sewn on and foundation covered, I re-trimmed to the size I wanted them to be. You could choose any size for yours. Just cut out oversize pieces of foundation to start off with.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:11 PM
Power Poster

I've done the Spiderweb string pieced quilt from Bonnie Hunter's free pattern on www.quiltville.blogspot.ca She uses phone book pages and shows how to make the center template. I used the phone books pages as well and a smaller stitch length and the paper came out easily after each triangle was trimmed.
I did another string block with thin fabric foundation and it made the blocks thicker than I liked. I set them with 3/4 inch (1/2 finished) black sashing so the the thicker block edges could be iron into the sashing. This made the quilt top all feel about the same weight and it quilted fine with my machine.
So paper or foundation fabric is up to you.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:37 PM

I use muslin on mine.
don't like to rip paper off
Old 12-23-2014, 10:37 PM

I did the spiderweb quilt using the papers from MSQC and it went very fast. Tearing the paper went quickly too, but I think it kind of distorted the triangles and I had to square them up to keep the center from bulging. I have not tried cloth so can't say which is better.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:39 AM
Power Poster

I like using inexpensive, thin, muslin for foundations. The up side is you do not have to remove the foundation. Removing all the paper is tedious and very time consuming. Some people do not like how heavy the quilts are, but around here we like heavy quilts, so that is not an issue
Old 12-24-2014, 05:01 AM

I have made many string quilts as well as "sew and flip" block quilts, and I always use old thin sheets for foundation. There is extra weight and thickness with a fabric foundation, but it works for me.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:17 AM

For those who use muslin foundation - do you then add batting and backing and quilt as usual?

Cheryl