Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions About Making String Quilts >

Questions About Making String Quilts

Questions About Making String Quilts

Old 12-26-2014, 07:00 AM

Thanks so very much for all your replies, information, tips and photos of all the gorgeous string quilts!!! great inspiration!! You guys are the BEST! Looks like the Board is split between paper and muslin, I think I will try a couple of blocks with each as a trial run to see how it goes, as I have not yet tried any kind of foundation piecing, and will take everyone's advice to cut my strips a little wider than I originally thought... as I thought I would make blocks in the 10" size. I am looking forward to trying out this quilting style and plan to make a strip quilt with black and white prints for my niece. I will post photos when I get it done! Thanks again!
Old 12-26-2014, 07:11 AM

I make crazy and strip quilts with fabric as the foundation. I've never actually tried with paper - this is how my gran showed me so that's just what I do. I have used old sheets as Gran taught but the quilts get SO heavy, so now I keep my eyes open for super thin muslin, or even really cheap-quality quilting cottons if they're on sale and lightly colored. I do pre-wash my foundation fabric. I rip my foundation into squares around 13-14 inches and then cut down to 12-1/2 when I'm done. I draw the 12-1/2 square on the fabric before I start (a quick trace a template with blue water-erase pen) so I know about where my "true" edges are going to end up, and like one person mentioned I try to avoid bulky seams near the corners and edges.

I love these types of quilts. They're fuss-free, a great way to eat up scraps, and I like how free and creative I can be while piecing them.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:44 AM

I save used dryer sheets as foundation. They are safe to use with fabric and you can use them whole, mine are 6 by 9, or sometimes I trim them down to 6 by 6. They are thin but stable and you don't need to take them out when done. Try it, I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:38 PM

I've made several string quilts. I started out using a muslin square, then switched to waxed paper from Costco. I think there was a discussion about that somewhere here on the board. I find with a small stitch and a size 12 or 14 needle that it's easy to take off and besides, it's a mindless task when in front of the TV. I found that the muslin either made the quilt too heavy with a batting and to flimsy without. I prefer using a batting. If one uses a fleece backing, I like the thin Thermore batting. as I think it has more stability. I've made some of my quilts with a common center strip and others just random, depending on what I have to use. Lately, I've been doing random and I like the look too. It's a fun and again, mindless, way to use up the scraps (which I can't seem to throw away!). I've had good response from those receiving them too......they are fun and in a way, kind of an "I Spy" feel to them....
Old 12-26-2014, 05:36 PM

Head on over to MaryQuilts.com or her free Yahoo group http://heartstringsquiltproject.com/. Wonderful directions and inspirational photos for string pieced quilts. I prefer to used old white sheets as foundations, and I like to use a unifying center diagonal strip as a design element as in the Heartstring group's quilts. As a retired Nurse Practitioner I strongly discourage the use of dryer sheets due to chemical issues, and also worry how they will affect the fabrics in the future. If you like the structure you can use a lightweight Pellon interfacing instead.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:58 PM

When I made a string quilt I used a worn out (very thin) cotton sheet. It worked really well. So if you want to save some money this is what I would do.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:42 PM

My favorite quilt for winter is a string block quilt made with muslin foundation and no batting, just a fleece backing. That eliminates the heaviness of the quilt but makes it warm and snuggly.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:08 PM

I had a bunch of the cone shape coffee filters for a coffee pot that has gone to the great beyond. I opened the cone up and had a 90 degree shape. After stitching I soaked them in some water and the filters pulled off very easy. Appliqued to a square of fabric for a lovely dresden plate.
Don't have pictures...wish I did.