Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions About Making String Quilts >

Questions About Making String Quilts

Questions About Making String Quilts

Old 12-25-2014, 11:53 AM

Default String quilt design

I have used squares of newspaper cut to approx 12 inches. I sorted my scraps of blue to dark, medium, and light then sewed them together to form the pattern of the quilt in the background of this picture. I like newspaper since it is stiff and you don't have to worry about edges getting doubled under and sewn fast.
Attached Thumbnails string-quilt.jpg  
Old 12-25-2014, 12:16 PM

I made a type of string blocks without any foundation--I used various widths of "strings" and made into a 12" sq--I then cut diagonally and switched light dark so and attached to a solid "sashing" along the diagonal (so the solid became the middle stripe) and then sewed blocks together. It worked fine without foundation
Old 12-25-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I have done all of mine on paper. I have seen pictures of them done without foundation--but I'd worry about stretching. If you use muslin, it won't be removed, so that takes away one step vs. paper. The quilt would have an extra layer of fabric, so I assume it would be warmer.

Something to watch for: if you use a single color in the center of each block to create a pattern, position it carefully and consistently, so it will line up across blocks. String blocks are very forgiving since they don't have to match along the sides, but the center strip is important if you want to create a pattern across the quilt.

Have fun--these are my favorite blocks to make!
Great advise here. I want to add that I use phone book paper, use a large needle and a short stitch. I have made several. Some multi-colored, some I pick out the same color of different fabrics one colorway for each side with a solid same color in the center. I need to go to my other computer to send a picture of some I have made to show you want I mean. I love doing this with my strings.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by love to sew View Post
Great advise here. I want to add that I use phone book paper, use a large needle and a short stitch. I have made several. Some multi-colored, some I pick out the same color of different fabrics one colorway for each side with a solid same color in the center. I need to go to my other computer to send a picture of some I have made to show you want I mean. I love doing this with my strings.
I hope this comes out. Here is one with pinks and purples.
Attached Thumbnails pink-purple-string-quilt-1.19.14.jpg  
Old 12-25-2014, 01:12 PM

Here is another,
Attached Thumbnails string-quilt-red-donation-ccs.jpg  
Old 12-25-2014, 01:32 PM

string using very used dryer sheets
Attached Thumbnails string-x-butterfly-quilt-003.jpg  
Old 12-25-2014, 03:59 PM

I buy old sheets at yard sales and cut them up to use for foundation, they work well and are cheap.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:09 PM

I use old sheets for the base. No need to pull paper off the back. I cut them either 8-1/2" or 9". I cut ahead of time then I don't have to prepare them when I'm ready to sew. Here in Southern Texas they don't want batting so the sheets do give a little more warmth. (Nursing homes/veterans/baby quilts)
Old 12-25-2014, 07:20 PM

I have only used muslin for the foundations.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by love to sew View Post
string using very used dryer sheets
Although some folks have suggested that the scents or chemicals in the dryer sheets might cause problems for some folks with sensitivities, I also have successfully used dryer sheets for making string blocks. After using them for a load in the dryer and then collecting a bunch, I put them in a lingerie bag and run them thru the wash. I think by this time, any chemicals are pretty much gone. Then press them using a pressing cloth. Works great -- very lightweight.