Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions About Making String Quilts >

Questions About Making String Quilts

Questions About Making String Quilts

Old 12-25-2014, 05:56 AM

Default String quilt QAYG method

I used the quilt as you go method and was very pleased with the results.
Bottom layer - I cut up a sheet that I had on hand in a plain color.
Batting - I used Warm and Natural.
Top layer - I sewed the strips diagonally.
I used black fabric for sashing.
It made a wonderful charity quilt at a low cost.
I posted a picture of it on this site.
Each block was created in a different color family of scraps.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:20 AM

Bonnie Hunter uses pages from an old telephone book and those are easily torn away. When I PP I use smaller stitches, which makes tearing away very easy and quick.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503575[/ATTACH]

I made this one using paper from Missouri Star Quilt Company. Didn't mind tearing the paper off... mindless work can be a good thing!
Oh, that is like lightning strikes! How unique. I need to change plans on how to set mine together.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:31 AM
shy

I have done them with paper..with material..and without anything..I prefer material backs..to me they are the easiest..but then I don't remove any of the back as I have seen others do..also if u cut say a 10 inch square for the back..u can see how big of sizes u need
Old 12-25-2014, 06:37 AM

I made mine using parchment paper as my foundation. I didn't want small blocks so I cut the paper 13 inches then trimmed to 12 1/2 when I squared them up. I also would like to say that the parchment I used came from the dollar store, so it's not as expensive as using your good baking paper. If I am not mistaken I believe I bought 5 boxes for a queen size quilt and didn't use all of them.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:51 AM

Has anyone used a foundation that is a rectangle shape (longer vertically than horizontal)? I saw a picture of a finished quilt like this, and liked it.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I am planning to make my first string quilt after the holidays. What I have in mind is the common design of strips of fabric sewn together then cut in the square block size with the strips on the diagonal across the block. My questions are: (1) is a separate foundation necessary? (2). If yes, do you recommend a muslin or paper foundation and what are the pros/cons of each? (3) are there any other tips or potential issues I should know? Thanks for your advice!
Welcome to string piecing Jeanne. I used fabric once, didn't like it, now use doodle pads from the $ store. It is a thicker, pulpy paper and when you shorten your stitch it cracks off easier. Be sure and google string quilts and see what they have to offer. Our swap group did a string block exchange with the herringbone pattern. Google it and see how cool this pattern is. I've done a few this way and they are great looking. I also have used bits and pieces from other quilt projects and usually have some larger triangles made up for the corners. You don't want to put short strips in corners because of seaming issues when putting blocks together. I, also, join up shorter pieces and I like the interest it adds. When I want to quilt, but don't want to think and agonize I string. LOL Enjoy and shows us your blocks.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by GrammieJan View Post
Has anyone used a foundation that is a rectangle shape (longer vertically than horizontal)? I saw a picture of a finished quilt like this, and liked it.
I did one and loved it. Here's a link to its picture in our gallery: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-333828.html
I think there are a few others in the gallery that are done with rectangles.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:04 AM

I made a pillow top using the string quilt block method and used muslin because it would take a lot of use and be more sturdy. It turned out fine. I have purchased newsprint for the foundation for my next quilt, and I have a lot of fabric already cut. I plan to make the paper around 9 inches square and cut them down to 8 or 8 1/2.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:19 AM

I did one years ago and used interfacing for the foundation. Less expensive, lighter weight and thinner than muslin and doesn't have to be removed.