Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions on making Art quilts >

Questions on making Art quilts

Questions on making Art quilts

Old 04-03-2014, 08:17 AM

Default Questions on making Art quilts

I am really intrigued by some of the art quilts I see on the net - Some beautiful landscapes, florals, abstracts.

A lot of these have teeny tiny bits or strips of fabric in them, some of them have to be 1/16" to 1/8" wide. I'm really curious about the techniques used to attach the fabrics. Are they appliqued or? I can see the design steps, I just don't know about the construction process.

I would love to take a class on creating these but rural living doesn't afford that, and what with working, not really an option to go to a big town to take one.

Any input, blogs, tutorials you know of would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

It might be the technique that the tiny pieces are put on top of a piece of fabric with a fusible where the pieces will go. Sometimes a fine tulle or similar is placed over the piece and thread painting is added. There are books available on the technique and I think there are youtube videos as well. I think they are called confetti pieces?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:32 AM

I was looking at a feature article in AQS' most recent magazine yesterday - the quilt on the cover took my breath. I can not figure out how she got the long narrow colors inserted... see this link http://www.americanquilter.com/publi...tal_issues.php top issue. I think it's a beautiful work.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

You might want to see if your TV service provider has a PBS station that has a show called Quilting Arts. I have seen techniques done for this but it is not anything I am interested in doing. I know that Pokey Bolton also has a magazine published called Quilting Arts and also a website by the same name. Hope this helps you.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

tiny pieces can be accomplished with paper piecing. but with the curves on your example, it may be done with foundation piecing... placing larger pieces on a background fabric and sewing the next one very close to it. then the excess is cut away.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 AM

I took a class with Frieda Anderson from the Chicago School of Fusing. She fuses all her fabric. Uses all hand dyed fabric. Then uses the rotary cutter, straight and the pinking one, to cut it all up into shapes and lines. Then fuses it all onto a background. Even the border is fused. Then sandwich like usual and FMQ.

I thought it was a lot of fun. It's not really my thing though. And they are smaller decorative quilts, like wall sized.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I took a class with Frieda Anderson from the Chicago School of Fusing. She fuses all her fabric. Uses all hand dyed fabric. Then uses the rotary cutter, straight and the pinking one, to cut it all up into shapes and lines. Then fuses it all onto a background. Even the border is fused. Then sandwich like usual and FMQ.

I thought it was a lot of fun. It's not really my thing though. And they are smaller decorative quilts, like wall sized.
This makes 'sense' to me I think! Do they fit next to each other or overlapping?
Does her technique then leave the edges raw or does she come back and applique them down in some fashion?
Old 04-03-2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
tiny pieces can be accomplished with paper piecing. but with the curves on your example, it may be done with foundation piecing... placing larger pieces on a background fabric and sewing the next one very close to it. then the excess is cut away.
Thanks Nancy - I'd not thought about doing this with foundation piecing...i guess then it could be whatever size I could squeeze in. interesting concept.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
You might want to see if your TV service provider has a PBS station that has a show called Quilting Arts. I have seen techniques done for this but it is not anything I am interested in doing. I know that Pokey Bolton also has a magazine published called Quilting Arts and also a website by the same name. Hope this helps you.

Nice thot! We have basic satellite - I'm pretty sure they don't. but I will go look up the website you have shown. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

Another artist that I know cuts tiny confetti size pieces, lays them on the quilt top, then puts a layer of tulle or organza over it and then thread paints over the whole thing.