Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The Quietest Sewing Machine

The Quietest Sewing Machine

Good Morning,
    I am often awake much later in the evening than my hubby. However, the three sewing machines I have are noisy enough that the noise keeps hubby awake.

I'm thinking of purchasing a new "Quiet" sewing machine, but have no idea where to begin. Could you please give me your "quiet" rating on your sewing machines? I don't want to spend a fortune - leaving my fortune for the Local Quilt Shops.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I have several machines and the quietest one is my vintage Singer 301. I think my Janome 6600 is awfully loud but my aunt that uses a much smaller Janome thinks mine is very quiet. I think the smaller, cheaper machines are louder. But, my vintage machines are definitely quieter. If you want really quiet get a treadle!

I have found that the Singer Featherweights are really quiet, they just purr along! I love mine and hardly use the noisy modern plastic machines now.

When I was looking for a new machine several years ago, hubby and I tested several. He liked the Janome 9000 best because we could watch TV together while I sewed and we could hear the movie over the machine. I think Janome in general makes a quiet machine, but maybe not all of them. I had other reasons for choosing this one, but we were in agreement.

My vintage singer 201 is my quietest machine, purrs along nicely.
    Jeanann

PROQUILTINATING : Working on quilting when you should be cleaning, doing laundry, or cooking.

Blog Entries
    My 1973 Elna is super quiet. I think the Universal from the 50s will be, too. The Singer 301 has some noise, but it's not irritating.

Definitely my '48 singer featherweight. My computerized brother innova NX400 is quiet, but not as quiet as my featherweight!
    ~Laura

Wise words from my 7 year old niece: "Aunt Laura, you must think you can't have too much fabric like a pizza can't have too much cheese." Well said, Gracie!

My 1941 Singer 15 is so quiet, hubby can sleep all morning. Oh well, everything has its disadvantage.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

All of my vintage machines tend to be actually louder than my newer plastic machines. The most quiet machine I own is either my Janome 9000 or my vintage Elna 62C. The Elna 62C can be bought for less than $100 if you look around and is a great, lightweight machine and very quiet.

First of all, have you checked that your machines are well oiled? My sister's was much, much quieter when I got her to oil it. Second, instead of buying a new machine, consider getting a 'white noise' generator for your husband. Until I moved my sewing room downstairs, I sewed in the room next to my parents since I had to be upstairs during the day to look after my Dad. My mom is a very light sleeper and the machine never bothered her once I got her a nature sounds generator. Here's a cheap one. This is the one I bought, but I don't recommend it because a lot of people apparently are unable to figure out how to use it (I bought it for parents 8 years ago).
    Current piecing: Zig Zag quilt & LOTL (HSTs done, assembling units)
    Hand piecing project: Apple core (TOP IS DONE!!!! Yay!)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast