Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: The Quietest Sewing Machine

Another thing, don't run it at top speed. That increases the noise level.
    Karen in CA
    Babylock Ellisimo, Babylock Enlighten Serger, Janome 6600, Janome 760 for travel

I have 7 machines. My Singer 301 is also the quitest of all. Just purrs quietly along. I love it and only paid $150.00 for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
    I have several machines and the quietest one is my vintage Singer 301. I think my Janome 6600 is awfully loud but my aunt that uses a much smaller Janome thinks mine is very quiet. I think the smaller, cheaper machines are louder. But, my vintage machines are definitely quieter. If you want really quiet get a treadle!

Strange, that is the same one I was going to recommend. When I am at guild among all the new machines, my 301a is definitely the quietest. I have even converted several other members to 301's.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

If its a portable, I got a rubber-like pad at the office supply store for under my machine and that
    helped cut down on the noise mine was making.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    If you are using a portable, give consideration to the table/surface you are using. Even a piece of batting or old placemat under the machine can help reduce noise.

Dayle
    I was going to suggest this. THe thing I have found is a piece of carpet. THe bound samples they sell at the carpet store or even Lowe's.

Before buying another machine, maybe it would be worthwhile to try putting something under it to absorb some of the sound. I'm thinking some sort of dense, cushioning material such as yoga mats are made of might do the trick. In fact, you could try just putting some folded up batting under it to see if that makes any difference. The trouble with the batting will be that the machine may move around. Another option is a non-slip placemat or shelf liner often available at dollar stores. If there is a wall between the machine and the bedroom, you could hang a curtain (or a quilt!) over it to work as a sound barrier. I did this inadvertantly by hanging a quilt in front of my desk. My DH's desk is on the other side of the wall, and even though there is an open door to my left we have trouble hearing each other clearly and one of us always has to get up and walk over to the door when we have something to say. We have joked about calling each other on cell phones or using IM.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    My Singer Quantum is air electronic too! When I bring it to a sew day no one believes the foot petal is is non electric but runs on or makes air. I haven't figured that out at all. But it doesn't make any sewing noise, it's a quiet hum. No needle going up and down noise. I use it for decorative stitches. It's the first of the Quantum line and very hard to find. Even the same model number I've found isn't like the very first ones. I bought it before I started quilting. It has great decorative stitches.
    Got fabric?

Smile I use this machine every night and love it!

Quote Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned View Post
    First of all, have you checked that your machines are well oiled? My sister's was much, much quieter when I got her to oil it. Second, instead of buying a new machine, consider getting a 'white noise' generator for your husband. Until I moved my sewing room downstairs, I sewed in the room next to my parents since I had to be upstairs during the day to look after my Dad. My mom is a very light sleeper and the machine never bothered her once I got her a nature sounds generator. This [/URL]is the one I bought, but I don't recommend it because a lot of people apparently are unable to figure out how to use it (I bought it for parents 8 years ago).
    I take this with me even when I travel. I have to have white noise due to tinnitis in my ears. This is a great little machine with different sounds. My son likes the waterfall. I like the ocean waves. I think you could figure how to set it and then just cut it on. My babylock quilter's choice is pretty quiet although it makes a weird noise when you first start stitdhing. but I love it anyway. It would definitely keep hubby awake but since we go to bed at the same time that's not a problem. My eyes close about 10pm so no sewing for me at night!! lol!

I just thought I had screwed up my machine somehow and thats why its loud... I learn so much here thank you ladies

I get up early in the morning,my featherweight is very quiet and I get alot done while husband is still sleeping, if you could find one, this is a machine you will love. good luck with your search

I love my Featherweight, including how quiet it is. The first time I sewed with it, I was amazed. So quiet and also sews great for piecing.
    ShirleyD

Quietest machine I have ever had is a Bernina 801 Sport. That little baby just purrs. Thankfully I didn't trade it in when I bought a computerized machine. the sport has very few stitches, but love using it for piecing and simple buttonhole applique. also zig zag is really cool.

Blog Entries
    bernina is the quietest but also try putting your current machine on a rubber mat (think welcome mat) that may fix the problem
    Patski
    always learning

Buy him some foam ear plugs. I sleep with them every night, best sleep I have ever had. Very cheap and can buy a bunch in a jar at Wal Mart.
    My husband could sleep with almost any kind of noise.
    All machines are quiet until they get broke in.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Buy him some foam ear plugs. I sleep with them every night, best sleep I have ever had. Very cheap and can buy a bunch in a jar at Wal Mart.
    My husband could sleep with almost any noise.
    All machines are quiet until they get broke in.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My Singer 201 treadle machine is very quiet. Also my Singer 221 Featherweight.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    My Baby Lock humms. After I got rid of the Pfaff that ran like a tractor DH came up and told me how much he loved my new machine. The sewing room is above his office and he claims that he cannot hear the Baby Lock.
    I agree. My Babylock is very quiet. My Featherweight is also very quiet.

Try putting a carpet sample under your machine, this will make the machine quieter.

I agree with those who recommend the old reliable Singer 201....super machine, super strong, super quiet. And.....best part is.... it won't clean out your bank account. Service requirements are almost non-existent.
    SheSews (when she can)

I have a Singer 9940 that I don't think is very loud but the walking foot is very noisy.

Suzy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Putz View Post
    Good Morning,
    I am often awake much later in the evening than my hubby. However, the three sewing machines I have are noisy enough that the noise keeps hubby awake.

I'm thinking of purchasing a new "Quiet" sewing machine, but have no idea where to begin. Could you please give me your "quiet" rating on your sewing machines? I don't want to spend a fortune - leaving my fortune for the Local Quilt Shops.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Have you thought about what your machine is sitting on--as I found that makes a difference, especially if the machine isn't completely flat. I use some of that shelving rubber stuff under mine and it works great.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3