Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt for a 4 yr. old...--need suggestions... >

Quilt for a 4 yr. old...--need suggestions...

Quilt for a 4 yr. old...--need suggestions...

Old 03-17-2014, 11:55 AM

Default Quilt for a 4 yr. old...--need suggestions...

Our youngest granddaughter just turned 4 yr., and I need suggestions on a pattern for a quilt for her. It needs to be on the easy side, as time is limited to make it.
The only thing she said she wanted was for it to have "Purple" in it.
So, any suggestions for a pattern she would like now and that she would like as she grows up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Mariah
Old 03-17-2014, 12:39 PM

How about flying geese gone wild?
http://filminthefridge.com/2012/09/0...ese-gone-wild/
Is that a quick-enough pattern? There are some really nice arrangements online, of which I personally like this one the best. I think it makes for a not too-modern quilt that is ageless. You could use purples and pink and aqua and some neutral with it. I am planning to make this pattern for a co-workers child in mints-aqua-turqouise and beige. If you make the units large enough to showcast the fabric, it is pretty fast, too.

Another choice would be a chevron quilt. Really easy and quick. You could use a modern charmpack and some modern neutrals and build it up with half-square triangles.
I hope you find something. It is nice that you ask your granddaughter for opinion, too!
Old 03-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

A snow ball block on point is a fabulous and fast project. Pick a main fabric for the center of the block and add the four corners from coordinating fabric. Can't be simpler. If you just used tone on tones and solids there would be no age limit to it. Plaids, checks, stripes, polka dots all work for age neutral projects. Here is a sample of a Snow Ball quilt I did a while ago.It went together fast.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]467717[/ATTACH]

peace
Attached Thumbnails quilts-019.jpg  
Old 03-17-2014, 01:33 PM

I love an eye spy for that age, but you need to have lots of novelty fabrics on hand. You could use purple sashing.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

Someone posted a pink and purple panel last week. It was from the popular children's movie Frozen. If you can find the panel, it would be a quick quilt.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:44 PM

I suggest a traditional quilt pattern incorporating a novelty I spy type fabric. That way it's classic enough to withstand changing trends as she ages, feels fun when she's little but not so childish that she will outgrow it in 10 years. I have a purple log cabin style quilt with cat fabrics that my grandma made for me when I was about 8 that I slept with until I grew up and got a bed too big for it.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:58 PM

When my granddaughter was four the quilt we decided on doing was one of her. She laid on large piece of paper and I drew around her. She chose her clothing, socks and shoes. Never wore a dress but wanted one on the quilt. She had long blond "Buffies" for hair so her hair was yellow with ponytails over each ear. She even chose lace on the dress. Now anyone that knew her knew she was strickly a TomBoy. Helping out Dad when repairing equipment. If you went to his shop you would see a large pair of boots sticking out from under the equipment and along side of those would be these tiny feet. She was helping! She still has the quilt safely put away. It was one of her favorite. If your granddaughter lives near maybe she would like to help you choose the colors or even type of quilt. It was all appliqued in life size so went together quickly.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:44 PM

To me easy means a juvenile fabric panel with cute, colorful borders. I guess it depends what easy means to you as there are a lot of good suggestions here already.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:35 PM

A 10 minute block quilt would be darling and could grow with her, depending on your fabric choices. They go together quickly, too.

http://hquilter.blogspot.com/2012/06...ock-quilt.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWv7-raic0o
Old 03-17-2014, 06:37 PM

4 patch, with a plain block in between. easy.made lots like that.