Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Need suggestions!!!! 20 old blocks from GGM

  1. #1
    Member BeckyPotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pompano Beach, Fl
    Posts
    58

    Need suggestions!!!! 20 old blocks from GGM

    These blocks were already in a top, but the sashing and corner stones were falling apart. The fabrics are all kinds. The backing looks like an old sheet, very thin.


    Name:  009.JPG
Views: 584
Size:  112.5 KBName:  005.JPG
Views: 577
Size:  143.8 KBName:  008.JPG
Views: 584
Size:  111.5 KBName:  006.JPG
Views: 582
Size:  112.7 KB
    Questions: Do I cut the flowers off ?? Or just cut around old backing and put them on new background.

    This is just a few of them. Thanks for looking. Becky

  2. #2
    Super Member madamekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    7,663
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would consider taking them off the old sheeting, if it can be done without damage, but if not, I would layer them with bridal illusion to protect them from wear, and put it back together. I have a friend who had a quilt done by a GGM in her old age, that she wanted to keep 'as is' that she did that with, and it turned out lovely.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

  3. #3
    Super Member moreland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Posts
    2,164
    I think you could also iron light weight interfacing onto the backs of the blocks that would strengthen the thin muslin and provide some stability. Just an idea.
    God Bless,
    Rachel

  4. #4
    Super Member Pinkiris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NE Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,311
    Blog Entries
    2
    Looks like each petal of each flower is hand stitched to the thin background. If you clip those stitches, you will end up with a pile of loose flower pieces. I personally think that the hand stitches are part of the charm of the vintage quilt, so I would carefully cut around each flower, maybe leaving a 1/2" border, then think about reattaching them to a stronger material, perhaps by applique. I really like the look of those flowers!
    Sue

  5. #5
    Senior Member Johanna Fritz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Menomonee Falls, WI
    Posts
    570
    Blog Entries
    13
    I had a similar situation, but the background fabric was "leeching" green through to the dresden plates on the front. I cut around the edges of the design, cut the fabric out behind it, and needle turn appliqued the piece onto new muslin. So the only original green left - that did not show - was 1/4" approx on either side of the seam that I "re-turned." How big are the blocks? There are many other things you can make the blocks into and give to relatives. Good luck and I would like to know a size.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central New York State :o)
    Posts
    276
    What beautiful squares and an awesome heritage from your GGM. I, personally, would hate to lose that little bit of her that is in the stitching. I like the idea of ironing a stabilizer of some sort on the back.

  7. #7
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    36,234
    I would say to cut around the flowers and put them on new backing but some of the flowers look like the petal tips go right to the edge? I think I would place the flower (block and all)on top of the new background fabric and straight stitch around the outside flower petal edges inside the original hand sewing. I would then carefully trim away the white background and see how they look. You would perseve the original sewing, the flower would have the white behind to add stability to the fabrics and the flower petal edges would kind of fray up like raw edge appliqué?

  8. #8
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,952
    Blog Entries
    1
    I like the idea of adding a layer of bridal illusion, as this keeps the original blocks as original as possible. I believe this is how preservationists add repair work to old quilts.

    Instead of using fusible on the background fabric, I would simply add another layer of background fabric to each square. Fusible can yellow over time, whereas another layer of white fabric underneath the thin fabric will add stability without any risk of yellowing.

  9. #9
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,481
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyPotter View Post
    These blocks were already in a top, but the sashing and corner stones were falling apart. The fabrics are all kinds. The backing looks like an old sheet, very thin.


    Name:  009.JPG
Views: 584
Size:  112.5 KBName:  005.JPG
Views: 577
Size:  143.8 KBName:  008.JPG
Views: 584
Size:  111.5 KBName:  006.JPG
Views: 582
Size:  112.7 KB
    Questions: Do I cut the flowers off ?? Or just cut around old backing and put them on new background.

    This is just a few of them. Thanks for looking. Becky

    Pretty! I'd leave them on the backing, simply to preserve what your great grandmother has done. Line with new cotton then I'd do them without sashing.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  10. #10
    Member BeckyPotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pompano Beach, Fl
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanna Fritz View Post
    I had a similar situation, but the background fabric was "leeching" green through to the dresden plates on the front. I cut around the edges of the design, cut the fabric out behind it, and needle turn appliqued the piece onto new muslin. So the only original green left - that did not show - was 1/4" approx on either side of the seam that I "re-turned." How big are the blocks? There are many other things you can make the blocks into and give to relatives. Good luck and I would like to know a size.
    The blocks are 16 wide (seam to seam) !
    14in high.

    5 rows across 5 rows down
    Last edited by BeckyPotter; 07-04-2012 at 07:05 PM.

  11. #11
    Power Poster earthwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    10,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
    Looks like each petal of each flower is hand stitched to the thin background. If you clip those stitches, you will end up with a pile of loose flower pieces. I personally think that the hand stitches are part of the charm of the vintage quilt, so I would carefully cut around each flower, maybe leaving a 1/2" border, then think about reattaching them to a stronger material, perhaps by applique. I really like the look of those flowers!
    I would be inclined to do it this way....they are really sweet blocks. Please keep us posted....you know how we love pics.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    468
    Madamekelly...what is bridal illusion and where do you get it?

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bosque County, Texas
    Posts
    2,705
    I have repaired an old quilt that my grandmother made around 1900. I re-enforced the fabric with new fabric where the old fabric was coming apart. That quilt had really been used a lot! I have it on a guest bed, but every few months I find another hole in one of the pieces of fabric that I have to applique a new piece of fabric on top of. So far I have been able to almost match the patterns and colors well enough so that the repairs aren't very evident. My point in sharing this is to tell you that if you keep the old muslim (which is thinner) your quilt will not have a useful life without a lot of repair work. Consider how you will repair worn holes in the muslim as they appear after you have applied bridal illusion to the quilt if you plan on using the quilt and not just displaying it.

    Bridal illusion is used to make veils for brides and is available at all shops where you can buy supplies to make veils and wedding dresses.

  14. #14
    Super Member tjradj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,328
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would square up the white cloth behind the petals and fold under the edges. Then machine applique them to a new backing - like a whole cloth. Then quilt around the squares. Kind of like this one. For some reason it won't let me upload the cell phone pic of the final quilt on show.
    Attached Images Attached Images

    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.