Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt auction quilt question >

Quilt auction quilt question

Quilt auction quilt question

Old 05-11-2011, 05:49 PM

(Try saying that five times fast.)
When you make quilts for auctions, raffle, etc. Some kind of cause to raise money for something so you don't know the exact client. What kind of pattern do you use? And what colors?

I ask this because I worked at a camp summer 2009 and will be working there again this summer and every Autumn they have quilt auction to raise money for the camp. I would love to make a quilt for the auction but I don't know what kind of pattern to use or what fabric choices would be best. I made somewhere around 10 quilts and they have either been for me, or the person I'm making it for picked the fabrics they wanted...My favorite color is orange, so almost every quilt I make has to have orange in it, but I realize that not everybody loves orange as much as I do.

Anyway, What do you recommend and why. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:01 PM

What type of camp? Maybe pick fabric that represents camp Like if it is a general lets go camping outdoors type fabric with wild life, trees, ect or a Sport camp with
sporting fabric. Or a science camp with fabric that represented the sciences, then you could plan your design around the fabric If Orange is not apropate for the Quilt use it on the label.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

If the fund raiser is in the fall why not make a fall quilt. Thus orange problem solved:) Just a thought.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:05 PM

I'm working on one right now for a Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation fundraiser. It's a simple disappearing 4-patch with bright, bold colours and geometrics. I was looking for something bright and cheery.

The JDRF doesn't have a logo or theme to incorporate into the pattern ... for an autism event I'd do a puzzle quilt :)

Orange is one of the main colours in this one - bright blues, vibrant greens and glorious orange.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:37 PM

Am making one for a non-profit. They said use whatever I wanted so went with a trip around the world pattern and bright colors. The only real stipulation was that they wanted sunflower fabric in it - the sunflower is part of their logo. No problem there as I have approximately 15 sunflower fabrics. I am donating the batting to get rid of older, terrible polyester batting and the backing - again terrible color but gift from MIL so can't just gift it away. I will be reimbursed for the thread and the fabric for the top. Am in the process of selecting fabrics for it -probably seriously tomorrow. Right now am just thinking of possibilities.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:52 PM

You could do an Autumn quilt that way you could put some orange in it and it would work. (See my Avatar) I buy raffle tickets for quilts whether I like it or not. If I win, sometime's I'll give it as a present and other times I just can't part with it.

My first quilt that I purchased was an applique quilt made by the Ohio Reformatory for Women quilt group. They had some displayed at the Union County fair and I saw it on a Sunday morning and took it off display and hid it till I could get back with the money when they were open. (On Sundays they open later.) The quilt was bright flowers, morning glories I think.

As you can see, I like reds, browns, creams, oranges and all shades in between. Follow your heart. Whatever you choose will be a hit.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:08 AM

I once saw a tent pattern with a 3-D flap. It was really cute.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:18 AM

Maybe you could ask what kind of quilt and what pattern brought in the most money in previous years. There is no sense in making a masterpiece if a simple quilt is what the buyers desire. I will admit that I gear my contributions to such affairs to the buying audience.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:28 AM

How good of you to do this for your camp. I have given several of mine to Hospice Consignment Shop and they raffle them off. Gave one when they were having a luncheon and asked that they have a drawing for the volunteers and give it to one of them. They do something I cannot do, so I in return did something they don't. Whatever you decide, it will be fine as it is made from the heart for a cause you believe in.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

i give lots of quilts- they are made topic related to the organization they are going to---
fish/sealife/beach stuff for the swim school-
eye spy- games- play for quilts for kids, linus project ect
book related quilts for the library
hope related quilts for the medically related projects
stars, patriotic, americana for the military...
ect...each quilt is as individual as the recipients may be