Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Backing >

Quilt Backing

Quilt Backing

Old 05-16-2014, 09:06 AM

I'm with Dunster! I like the back as interesting as the front and often use extra blocks and pieces from the front rearranged in another way- usually in a minimalist kind of way. Especially if I am doing novelty quilts for the grandkids. That way they cant outgrow the quilts for a while.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:49 AM

I like the 108". quiltfabric4less.com sells the bolts at a fantastic price.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:35 AM

A lot depends on what I'm quilting. If it's a larger quilt, I prefer the extra wide fabric so that I'm not spending extra time piecing it to", gether. Solid colors will show all of your quilting stitches. The good, the bad AND the ugly. My preferred backing fabric is a creme colored floral print because it's neutral and doesn't try to compete with the front. If I'm making a child's quilt that is just a little wider than 40", I've made a cut in the backing fabric and added a strip of leftover blocks. Just don't try to add the strip right in the middle. Do it about 12-15" in from the side. That way it looks more like an intentional accent piece, rather than a patch to make it bigger.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:49 PM

I like the wide backs. I usually buy mottled fabrics or a simple, muted print. I've bought the wide backs mostly at Mary Jos Cloth Store in Gastonia, NC, but I see their prices have jumped way high. They may be cheaper in the store. I haven't been in there lately.

But having said I like the wide backs, I've been strongly considering switching to QAYG, so I could be using smaller pieces of fabric. I'm not sure if I'll do a single block at a time, or a row of blocks at a time. I could continue to use the wide backs, and piece the batting in strips, piece the blocks and sew into a strip, then just add a strip of blocks to the quilt at a time. I'm quilting with a DSM.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:51 PM

Have you ordered from them before? They only sell by the bolt? Their prices are very good but I would want to talk to someone that has ordered from them before! Thanks!!

Originally Posted by cmilton View Post
I like the 108". quiltfabric4less.com sells the bolts at a fantastic price.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:03 PM

Back fabric is important to me unless it's a table runner or wall hanging. Even if it's on a bed, when you turn a corner of the quilt, you see it. So, I try to pick a fabric that, I hope, enhances the entire quilt. I love how so many of you piece your backs and use left over fabric!!
Old 05-18-2014, 03:32 AM

Sometimes I use flat sheets as backing.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:44 AM

Since I mostly due 120 x 120 inch quilts I have to piece the backings no matter what. I shop and L&M in Anaheim and they have Robert Kaufman in the flat fold section and I chose my backings from there as it is good quality. If I can get a good deal on wider fabric I will buy it but that doesn't happen very often.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:53 AM

I prefer a small print, usually one of the lights that would be in the quilt. If I make a big quilt, I try and get something in the 108" wide because it seems to be a bit less expensive (I see it for around $18.99 per yard (which is really 1/3 because it's 3 yards wide), but good fabrics are running upwards of $12.50 per yard. I also use good quality fabrics on the back unless it is a utility quilt.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:08 PM

That is a great idea!!