Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt Backings

What do you use?
    45"
    108"
    a sheet

I think we shouldn't skimp on the backing, especially when we purchase quality fabrics for the top.

does your LQS (local quilt shop) have 108" or do they want you to purchase 9 yards of 45" at $9 plus a yard?

mostly "regular" size fabrics that I was able to buy on a great sale. I have a collection of fabrics to use for backs and I just try to use the one that "goes" the best. They are all LQS Fabrics that I got for a great price.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I try to get 108 but sometimes I piece my backing to use up some fabric!

Banned
    If you use John Flynn's method of piecing backing you do not need as much as some think. Go to his web site. I believe it is under projects. There is a formulae to use 45" fabric and cut on diagonal to make it wider. You can extend 44"-45" out to about 60". Saves fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    If you use John Flynn's method of piecing backing you do not need as much as some think. Go to his web site. I believe it is under projects. There is a formulae to use 45" fabric and cut on diagonal to make it wider. You can extend 44"-45" out to about 60". Saves fabric.
    I have heard of this... is there tutorial on this???

by the way, Holice has so many great stencils, patterns and such... I love them.... thanks!

I usually use regular width fabric unless I can find a really nice wide backing fabric.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn
    I try to get 108 but sometimes I piece my backing to use up some fabric!
    Me too. I make note of any shop that carries the 108 inch fabric and stock up on basic blenders. I piece when I have to to match something.

alimaui
    I have never used 108" fabric. I usually find a great way to puzzle piece various scraps together.

The green print used in this is just regular 45" inch fabric. It was cut the long way to put the strip on the right side.

Back of Neptune
    Name:  Attachment-148653.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  67.4 KB

Once I made a giant log cabin on the back of a quilt. I just started with a big center square and kept putting big strips around each side until it was big enough. I had to put some on the top and bottom to make it rectangular.

I have heard and read that sheets should not be used for backing. I think it's something about the thread count, but not completely sure about that. I used fabric for backings and made a large 4 or 9 patch when I was trying to reduce my stash.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast