Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt binding question updated with picures on page 2 >

quilt binding question updated with picures on page 2

quilt binding question updated with picures on page 2

Old 02-19-2008, 09:41 AM

I did not know fusible thread would hold permanently. Since it melts I thought it would just dissapear. Learn something everyday. Steam a seam,that sounds interesting, I will check it out as it might hold stronger and easier than fusible thread.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:57 AM

Rose, the steam a seam is great! I use it for a lot of things, but the back binding is the best. Let me know after you try it how you like it. Also, I am wondering if there are different types of fusible thread. Maybe yes.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:07 AM

Rose hi again, here is what is reads for YLI fusible thread:

Directions for use : Conventional Sewing Machines
Yli Fusible thread can be used in the needle or the bobbin
Adjust tension so you are getting an even stitch
Use a zig zag stitch to expose the most fusible thread
Set stitch length to 1-2mm
To activate:
Press from the top side of the stitch. Never allow the iron to touch the fusible thread directly
Use a steam iron set for the upper heat range for the fabric
Allow the fused piece to cool before working further

Now see I did not know you could use the fusible in the needle. I figued stuff would come off the tread and get in machine. Learning everyday something new.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:09 PM

My thread was at the Viking dept. in Joanns and it had no instructions.
Are you sewing over the fusible with regular thread? I would think it would melt in the dryer or in hot water.
I sew my binding on the front first with regular thread then cut away the batting and backing then press the binding so the ditch is nice and flat. Turn my quilt to the back. I lay the fusible on top of the stiche line and fold the binding over it and press.
Then I turn the quilt to the front and stiche in the ditch.
Thanks for the instructions I did not know you can sew with it.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:14 PM

No it does not wash out. I have only done it once but it still is holding after washing. I do like you, sew the front etc... I do the back differently depending on size and such. I did a little check book cover and used only seam a steam on the inside binding. Looked great. So it depends. But the thread is fusible, lasting fusible. The only thing is there are different brands, so I don't know about all. The project I used the fusible thread on was a table runner for myself (for a change) and believe me it has been washed and still is fused. It was so easy, I put the thread in the bobbin and when I sewed the top binding on the bobbin thread went to the back and then I ironed and yep done. There are spots that could have been done better. Try it on something small like a hot mat or something, then the most that will happen is you will have to sew the binding on if it does not stay. My fusible thread I have now does not have instructions so I am wondering if it is lasting fusible. So I am going to give it a try. Probably the same as yours but not sure. Got a good deal from Sewing with Nancy on line so bought two spools. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:56 PM

WOW, I love that idea. My next quilt gets done that way. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by stay-at-home
O00000000h! I like that Tiffany. the center of interest is very effective.
I was up late making this, in a hurry because once more I'm starting the project waaaaay too late, and I didn't take the time to draft it out or do much of anything besides throw the colors together. I laid everything out but didn't use the design board and for some reason never pictured what it would look like once the units were all sewn together. It was just supposed to be two dark squares in the center. I completely forgot that with the same fabric being used in the smaller squares that it would change the lines. :roll: To say I was surprised when I finished it and finally noticed would be an understatement. I actually considered taking it all apart, but then decided I'm still limited by the same time constraints and I simply will never tell her it was a happy mistake. It'll be our little secret! :wink:
~Tiffany
Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Originally Posted by stay-at-home
O00000000h! I like that Tiffany. the center of interest is very effective.
I was up late making this, in a hurry because once more I'm starting the project waaaaay too late, and I didn't take the time to draft it out or do much of anything besides throw the colors together. I laid everything out but didn't use the design board and for some reason never pictured what it would look like once the units were all sewn together. It was just supposed to be two dark squares in the center. I completely forgot that with the same fabric being used in the smaller squares that it would change the lines. :roll: To say I was surprised when I finished it and finally noticed would be an understatement. I actually considered taking it all apart, but then decided I'm still limited by the same time constraints and I simply will never tell her it was a happy mistake. It'll be our little secret! :wink:
~Tiffany
What a Hoot! I sure thought it was supposed to be that way.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:12 AM

Rose and everyone, Here is a site with all kinds of fusible thread, fancy non fancy and more, and it is permanent fusible. Have fun :)
Old 02-23-2008, 10:13 AM

I guess it would be nice to post the thread, :roll: I will put it in a new subject for links also. Here it is :) http://www.kreinik.com./kshop/home.php?cat=8