Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt class advice >

quilt class advice

quilt class advice

Old 01-26-2015, 04:06 AM

Default quilt class advice

Friends:
A local store is holding a quilting retreat. I am worried about signing up. The organizer said a beginner would be welcome, but I really do not want to look foolish. I have not gotten the list of what to bring, but I have no idea how to take my sewing machine. It is, I admit, a cheap Singer, but it suits my needs and budget. Any advice about what to bring or do would calm my nerves.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-26-2015 at 04:14 AM. Reason: remove pda
Old 01-26-2015, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

I take my sewing machine to classes in a rolling luggage cart. Call the shop and ask about a class list so you know what to bring, at the same time ask how accessable their shop is due to your vertigo. Go and most quilters welcome a new quilter no matter your skill level.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:36 AM

I agree with Tartan. Call the shop. Ask if there is a project in mind or should you bring your own. Ask what kind of supplies will be available....cutting board, ironing board, iron? Retreats can be 2 types....one is the type where you bring whatever you want to sew or finish and everyone is working on their own projects. The other kind is one where there is a main project, maybe a Judy Niemeyer class where everyone will be learning a certain pattern or quilting process. Find out which one this is, then make your decision.

As far as your sewing machine, I have a small, inexpensive, WM Brother that I take to classes, because it is lightweight and easy to carry. A lot of quilters who go to retreats do have several machines. The heavier, more featured ones that they leave at home, and the smaller more portable one they take to classes. All of us had to start somewhere. We didn't buy a machine that costs several thousand dollars until we knew we really liked sewing.

I have one of those portable covers where you sit the machine in it, and then buckle on the top, which comes all the way down over the unit. You can't use either when you are sewing, so I most often have to find a place for it under a table. The rolling carts are better, because you can place your sewing supplies, ie rotary cutter, ripper, threads, projects, pins, etc on the top of it and roll it all in. Often, there is extra room inside to place plastic bags of fabric so that the sewing machine doesn't move around.

Ask about lighting. If you are sewing on dark fabrics, you may want to take a small spotlight to help if you need to rip or if you need to see your seams better. I take a multi-plug device and an extension cord if I am going to take multiple electrical items. Most retreat rooms don't have enough power to handle several irons, so usually that is provided. I like a small table beside me, think fold-up $10 WM tv tray, to hold fabric, blocks or whatever. I usually take a very small fan, just in case I get too hot. I, also, take a small cutting board, because a lot of patterns, especially with HST's, require a lot of trimming and a small 12 x 18 board may just be the item that keeps you going. I spent one sewing retreat day trimming down over 500 HST's (trimmed down they were 4 1/2" squares) on s small 6x6" revolving cutting board. It was so nice, because I could sit where I was sewing and just keep on trimming.

Ask if there will be a fridge and will meals be provided. What about drinks? Do you need to bring your own.

Bottom line....I always want to know more than any notice tells me and I love going to sewing workshops and retreats. I get so much done when there is no other life to get in the way.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 01-26-2015 at 04:44 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

I would suggest if the LQS is local, go on in and meet the owner or the employees. I use to quilt for a LQS and getting to know the employee will ease your fears. Just make sure you are signing up for a class you really want to take. My best friend took a class from the speaker that spoke at her guild and really didn't enjoy the class because she was a beginner and instructor didn't hand out any printouts which made it difficult for her to follow.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Just saw your bags in the pictures forum. You may be a new quilter, but it looks like you are an experienced sewer. I agree with the other posters. Go back and ask for more details to find if it's actually a class or just a 'free sew' where you work on whatever you want. Usually other attendees are pretty helpful. You can get a sewing machine case at JoAnns, or go to a dept store and get a duffle bag, which you will need to pad with something (like your fabric!). Here's a retreat checklist, and remember that you need to label EVERYTHING with your name, including your power cord, sewing machine, and foot pedal.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t159578.html
Old 01-26-2015, 05:57 PM

Any machine that works for you is just fine!! I, too, "only" have a cheap singer. DH bought it for me at Fleet Farm! I've made dozens of small and large wall hangings, and many quilts using it. It has reverse, and zig-zag, and not much more. Point is it works for me....go and enjoy!!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

I would much rather have a classmate that knows how to operate a "simple" machine well than a classmate that knows zilch sbout his/her TOL machine.

( the above comment does not spply to a class about learning to operate the machine.)
Old 01-26-2015, 10:33 PM
Banned

Thrift stores are a great place to find rolling totes. My serger tote is actually a soft sided rolling cooler I got at Goodwill for $8.00. If it wasn't for the 'Thermos' label on it, you'd never know it wasn't a real serger case. It fits perfectly.

Cari
Old 01-27-2015, 04:38 AM

I would go to shop and speak to the organizer. The retreat might be a good opportunity to meet other quilters. The truth is I have learned more from fellow students than I have from a lot of teachers. Not all teachers are great. Try not to be intimidated - sometimes easier said than done. The best thing about my first class was a friendly helpful classmate. Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:38 AM

My LQS will let you use one of their machines if you let them know in advance.