Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Cop >

Quilt Cop

Quilt Cop

Old 09-07-2012, 06:42 PM

Nice job of educating the uneducated. I hope I would do as well in a situation like that.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

Their are lots of know it all snobs out in the big workd. Luckily I don't get around much. I too can hand quilt but, at my age 67, I want to do machine piecing and quilting. I hate to spend at the very most 3 - 4 weeks on a quilt. A week or two is even better. I just want to use up as much of my fabric as I can.
I am not a patient person with those kind of people and always best for me to not be around them.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:45 AM

I'm ashamed this morning that I let this woman get the best of me. Quilting is what I do. I remember my first quilt made completely from scraps of other crafty projects. Made for a memory a something long gone. Made as an ending to something cherished. Its now tucked away with all its memories with another quilt. That other quilt was made by a teenage girl that wanted to impress me and my son while he was in high school. He wanted to throw it out. Momma kept it. It meant the world to me. Just squares of fabric, no fancy stitches but what was in that girls heart when she made it. It makes me smile every time I take it out. My son can't believe I still have it. Someday he'll cherish it as much as I do. I wouldn't take $10,000 for it, priceless. I wonder sometimes if she still quilts, her grandmother did, she helped her put it together. Did me and grandma inspire the quilting bug. Will she someday wonder if her quilt still lives. Will she tell her grandchildren the story of her first quilt and trying to win a young mans heart. Could she be the next Sharon Shambers. You never know what real treasures you have or what spark you might ignite. I quilt because its what I do. At 16 you could've told me that someday you'll spend your days sewing and having a love affair with fabric and I would've told you were nuts. Often I'm asked why are you making that quilt, whos that one going to, what are you going to do with that one? I don't know, I just make them. Why does a gardener plant, why does a painter paint, why does a singer sing....Why, why, why ....it's just who I am, it's what I do. And that's just what they do! There's no comparing! Tada! Now can we all just sing a song and light some candles, gives some hugs, maybe a little wine and dancing. Man we can get all uptight, can't we? Geesh....lets all go do some chain piecing and crank up the radio....."I got my toes in the water, azz in the sand,
Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand
Life is good today, life is good today......"
Old 09-08-2012, 05:39 AM

When our grandmothers and great grandmothers made quilts, they made them to be used on the bed for warmth in the winter. They didn't consider making a quilt that was to be hung on the wall and admired and critiqued. When I hand piece/hand quilt a quilt, I mean for it be used as a quilt and not as a decorative addition to a room.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:32 AM

You go girl!!!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:43 AM

I think after the tears had subsided I would have hauled off and punched her.....
Old 09-09-2012, 03:40 AM

I got my toes in the water, azz in the sand,
Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand
Life is good today, life is good today......"[/QUOTE]

You can come quilt with me anytime! LOL......
Old 09-09-2012, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
When our grandmothers and great grandmothers made quilts, they made them to be used on the bed for warmth in the winter. They didn't consider making a quilt that was to be hung on the wall and admired and critiqued. When I hand piece/hand quilt a quilt, I mean for it be used as a quilt and not as a decorative addition to a room.
Isn't it wonderful to keep up the tradition, hand quilting is piecing is a gift that many of us just don't have the patience for but can fully appreciate! My grandmother did everything by hand also, they were so beautiful on her beds. We now use them as decorative room additions and tuck them away as treasures.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:06 AM

Good job! I have a lot of quilts(to me) and the ones I make to be used I want used and abused and used up. But the ones I spend time on I want taken care of. I have learned that now I quilt for myself. Not one person in my family gives a flip about my quilts and just looks and says yeah , nice .. an hour later they couldn't tell you what color it was. I have been giving away/selling off my quilts.
I wonder what a lot of women from the past would say to the "q cop" when they found out their quilts weren't real..
Old 09-09-2012, 05:09 AM

leatheflea and kimbrennan - you both can come quilt with me anytime!

A quilter knows the time and committment we put in a quilt - and regardless of the outcome - they are true quilts!