Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Embroidery interfacing? >

Quilt Embroidery interfacing?

Quilt Embroidery interfacing?

Old 05-15-2016, 06:13 AM

Default Quilt Embroidery interfacing?

I've gotten into doing hand embroidery quilt blocks while watching tv. Does anyone know of a good interfacing to use on the back of the embroidery to keep it from puckering and to stabilize the stitches? I placed an embroidered quilt in our last quilt show and got the comment that the background traveling threads showed. Is there an interfacing that I could back the fabric with that wouldn't show travel stitches? I can't see stopping and starting each and every color when moving from flower to flower.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:21 AM

try www.shoppersrule.com, they have one that is great for when you do collars and cuffs and the backing of t-shirts, it ,keeps them from scratching plus it covers the shadowing effects. They are great to order from and very fast and great prices.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:59 AM

YI used the white iron on lightweight knit. It adds stability to the front and all the seams. I also had used a muslin as a foundation. So you don't need a hoop to embroider. Got the iron on at JoAnns. That was for crazy quilting. For regular embroidery, Crabapplehillstudio recommends sewing a muslin behind your fabric to keep the threads from showing.

Last edited by sewingitalltogether; 05-15-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:13 AM

Our lqs sells a iron on cotton with their hand embroidery supplies. I like this because I had a hard time keeping the rear fabric even with the front fabric!
Old 05-15-2016, 07:23 AM

Thanks y'all, headed to J's today to use a coupon, I'll give the fusible a try. Sounds like what I need.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:24 AM

I use Pellon, Fusible Feather - WHT # 911FF - purchased at JoAnn Fabrics on sale. I bought a whole bolt a few years ago and have been using it on my hand-embroidery. I really like it! (P.S. it is 22" wide).
Old 05-15-2016, 08:38 PM

I'm not a embroider person, but my sis is queen of embroidery--she recommends just CHEAP muslim cut about the same size--figures that the block is cut a little big to allow the drawing up from stitching. She never uses a hoop (I have to) and just lays the muslim under and starts embroidering to stitch it together. She especially does not like any fusible on back if she's using those transfer sheets for complex designs---the sheets can be run through your printer to transfer the complex designs onto (just adheres) the front of the cotton background and then dissolves once finished and soaked. With those she says you HAVE to use plain old muslin cause otherwise it's very hard to needle through fusible/cotton/transfer fusible.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:37 PM

Several members of my quilting group like to use a fusible interfacing called Form Flex. You don't need to hoop your embroidery when you use it. I found it at Joann's.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:45 PM
JT

I have gotten into doing hand embroidery also. Luckily on my second project, as I was picking out the fabric to embroider on, she asked me what I was using for the 2nd fabric, to put with it. I didn't know what she meant, but she explained that she always uses 2 pieces of fabric and embroiders through both, that way it helps to stabilize so there aren't any puckers and the traveling stitches don't show. Very good advice from a fellow embroiderer. I usually use a white muslin for my 2nd piece.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

iuse a light iron on interfacing, and nothing shows thru. I also use a good KONA st white fabric.