Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt Guild - Pro and Con

Every guild is different. You will just have to visit and see if it 'fits'. There used to be a quild in my town, but they did not want any new members so I probably wouldn't have liked it anyway. I don't have any local quilters to share things with. This board is my guild.

Blog Entries
    Most new guild attendees come in with the I don't know about this attitude and won't say more then Hello and I'll just sit in the back and wait for others to come to me. I've seen so much time and effort go to showering new members with attention never seeing them again that it gets to be why bother if they aren't coming back. A large guild is usually better for new members as they have a set procedure to follow for new members. Don't be a wallflower at your first meeting.

I've belonged to 3 different guilds over the years. The only reason I just go to the one in my own town is the price of gas. But I have to say I belong to a great guild with some really wonderful ladies - we share ideas, do show and tell and also yearly do some sort of community project. Quilts for the soldiers, the shelter home, and the local St. Vincent de Paul. -- I would say find yourself a guild. And the thing is if it's not for you you can always stop going.

Oops

Each guild is a little different - some do more charity work, some have gobs of classes, some are "stitch & bitch" groups .

My suggestion for any group/organization you join is to VOLUNTEER for something right away. People complain that clubs/guilds/groups are cliquish(?) but that's generally because they show up for a meeting, never volunteer, never speak up, etc. When you want to be part of a group - put yourself out there -- ask what you can do.

I truly believe that with (almost) any guild, you will get out of it what you put into it. I belong to a large guild and a small guild, and both have their advantages. I enjoy participating in both.

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    I truly believe that with (almost) any guild, you will get out of it what you put into it. I belong to a large guild and a small guild, and both have their advantages. I enjoy participating in both.
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

I belong to a guild that has just over 50 people. Some are new to quilting and we have some that are really good. We also have cliques that have their own retreat and then talk about it. It is by invitation only. Only a certain do any of the volunteer/charity quilts. You have to be able to take the good and the bad. We have workshops and we offer beginner classes.

I went to my first quild meeting last week. It is a very large group. Could be hard to break into for someone shy.

I love the one I am in...really small, under 8 of us, but we all are very close...as far as "cliquish", I was the last one of our current group to join...at 1st, I felt a little bit uncomfortable, but I just joined in, and my sense of humor is to laugh at myself 1st and foremost...now they all will "tell on" themselves for little goofs they make, since I started off sharing mine, and always do!...They couldn't seem to believe I had no problem telling when I made a big "uh-oh", and shared it with all of them while laughing! I think humor is a great ice breaking tool. I mean good-natured humor, nothing hurtful, and I poke fun at myself a lot!! I agree all are different, I had visited a couple of others, and they were ok, but not for me...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast