Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt Guild - Pro and Con

I go to 4 groups, and each is unique in its own way. I don't feel left out of any of them. I am a joiner, and always try to contribute anything I can. I don't wait for them to come to me. I want to give as well as take from them.

Try it and see.You don't have to stay if it is unsuitable.

I joined my local Guild a couple of months ago. I have to say that the Program Chair does a FABULOUS job. The first month I went they had a nationally known (but local) LA who did a trunk show. This month was a mini-workshop introducing Zentangles and how it applies to quilting - again, a nationally known speaker. The next day there was a full day workshop but I wasn't interested enough to take the day off.

Was fortunate to sit with a fun table and meet some new people. But you do have to be approachable and approach others as well.

I think the advantage to belonging to a guild is that you get lots of information from really good local quilters and also get the benefit of nationally known speakers and workshops. We just recently had Terry White (thread painting) and her 2-day workshop was GREAT!

I have been with my quilt guild for many years. The best part is the show and tell. It is just amazing how much talent all of the quilters have.
    Sometimes the meetings are boring, but that is part of the package deal.

Blog Entries
    be sure to visit first REALLY at least twice. check the membership application to see what is required along with the yearly dues. sometimes hours of service at quilt show, sales of books of "opertunity quilt" tickets, sales of tickets to guild show, guild show shirts and totes, etc. it can really add up,(and no senior discount LOL). see if the charity quilt activity has as much "luv" as the quilt show activity, if that is a priority for you. city guilds usually do have great speakers at the night meeting with a workshop the next saturday pertaining to what was presented ( the cost for the workshop is in the $50.00 range with a supply list that can run another $50.00 especially if a book or pattern is needed) ok, that is all i know on the subject :) and for the record I really like my guild most of the time:~

I've been in only one guild over the past 6 years and I really miss the interaction, the friendships, the classes, the volunteer work, etc. The guild offered so much to so many, including yearly quilt shows at the city hall and museums, plus classes with well-known quilt experts that I would not have been able to met. Personally a guild has a lot to offer and its the volunteers who give so freely of their time to organize the meetings, the workshops, the charity events, etc. Definitely jump in if you can!

Blog Entries
    I belonged to one guild for several months. Didn't like it at all. It was pretty much an advertising and discussion for a LQS. I recently joined another one. Sooooooooo much better. People are friendly, I felt welcome. I like it so much better. It is a little further to drive but I think I will stick with this one.

I have gone to two quilt meetings as a guest, and the last one I brought a guest. They seemed very nice and I think I am going to join. When my guest, Lois stood up and introduced herself and that she was a guest of mine. I stood up and said, I am a guest too, "Can a guest bring a guest, oh well, I guess I just did" Everyone just roared laughing. Kind of breaks the ice. We had a great time and I am meeting people slow but sure.

Joining a quilt guild is a wonderful way to meet others with the same interests. It's a good way to learn what's going on in the quilt world. Our guild has speakers, trunk shows, workshops, charity projects, bus trips,parties and always show and tell at every meeting .We host a quilt show bi-annually and make a raffle quilt to benefit charity. By becoming involved, you contribute to the quality of a quilt guild.
    Cindy
    www.sewitis.com
    P.S. I was the first member of the guild to ever win the raffle quilt in 25 years.

2011 raffle quilt made by Common Threads Quilt Guild
    Name:  Attachment-242609.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  327.0 KB

I joined in February of this year and I love it!
    The classes, the girls, the comradery, it's all great!

Zoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltinvaca
    Each guild is a little different - some do more charity work, some have gobs of classes, some are "stitch & bitch" groups .

My suggestion for any group/organization you join is to VOLUNTEER for something right away. People complain that clubs/guilds/groups are cliquish(?) but that's generally because they show up for a meeting, never volunteer, never speak up, etc. When you want to be part of a group - put yourself out there -- ask what you can do.
    Gosh, if life were always that simple. In the guild we have if an experienced quilter joins, there is resentment. If you do speak up with some new ideas, there is resentment. This particular guild seems to have had an on-going feud with one side or the other in charge. This "them or us" attitude even spilled over into the local quilt shop where you would be ignored if one of their friends came in. The sniping and gossip about the current guild president was so offputting that many folks, myself included, decided that life is short and we do not need this type of turmoil in our lives.

It's as another poster here wrote, when you find a good group become active and stay with folks who are encouraging and friendly. :lol:

DK
    I love the Dixie Quilt Guild that I belong to. When I was a real newbie they were so helpful. I have been to 2 fabulous retreats also classes they have held. They are wonderful ladies!
    Doreen

Blog Entries
    Guilds are like any other group.. There are great people all over, you just have to be patient enough to make new friends. I think quilters are generally open to new people, love others to join.. but some of the people who are already there may be a bit on the shy side to and don't make friends that easily either.. I say, go, have fun, keep introducing yourself.. share something, volunteer, and pretty soon you'll find yourself a part of something wonderful.

On the other side, like all groups, you may just happen to run into a group with a problem leader that is making everyone miserable. Or just isn't your cup of tea. Or is too social/political/demanding/uninvolved/not actually quilting any more, lots of things. That's okay too.. try another guild!! We all need each other and the encouragement of friends. Don't allow one experience to color your feelings about guilds in general. They are all made up of people so there is bound to be one you'll love, and some that aren't for you.

I have found friendship, members who are willing to give help to beginners or help the experienced with a new technique, members to just simply bounce ideas off of, quilt instruction that is always just a little bit challenging but comes with lots of help, planned quilt activities, mystery quilts, block exchanges and quilting week-ends. Nothing is mandatory except the very minimal dues. You produce work at your pace and enjoy the company of others who have an interest in quilts and quilting.

I have found no negatives to my group of about 30. We participate at the level we wish and always learn something new each time we are together. This is a good place to "show and tell" our quilting efforts.

Our guild lets us attend at a visitor for one or two months first. That's a good way to find out what they're like, if you can do that. The one here that I joined was a great group of people, and I even signed up to help at our show the first year. That's a great way to get to know some of the people. Just give it a shot - you won't know until you do.

Advantages 1: spend time with people who love to quilt 2: learn from some masters 3: see some new techniques 4: do some charity work 5: see some beautiful quilts ,need more?

I joined in my retirement years. It was a good opportunity to expand my network of friends who enjoy the same hobby. I keep learning new things - now I have to work on remembering them too!

Blog Entries
    I love my guild! It has around 60 members, but about 30 are active. No one in my family even sews, let alone quilt. The guild gives me a chance to talk to others about new techniques or problems I am having with my current project. It is a fun, relaxing night out. We also have a Saturday Sew once a month where one person teaches a project or you can just bring whatever you want to work on. The Sat. Sew is how I have gotten to know the guild members. Try it - you can always just stop going!

I joined a Guild and volunteered on Committees. This way I was able to meet ladies who shared their talents with others. You will, always, have cliques in organizations. I have went so far as to ask if I could set with them at the meeting. Our Guild has a designer member. She presents sometimes and it is GREAT! Local charities are always receiving quilts made by us. So try a couple of meetings and I hope you'll become a member!

I would like to join one, but I am new in town and too chicken to go alone. Sigh!

I belong to a great group of quilters, and I love every minute of it. We do a lot of charity projects and have a very informative meeting. There's something you can do every week, or if you cannot attend these workshops, etc, you do not have to. I learn something each month. Love my Guild!!!!

I am Vice President of my guild and will be President come January. I have been a guild board member for the last 6 years mainly because no one will step up to the plate. We had some new members join this past year and it seems that they are more than willing to volunteer for different jobs. By volunteering it helps the group as well as the volunteer to get more out of the group. I am retiring the end of this month and am thinking on checking out an additional guild which is quite a bit larger than the guild I now belong to. The larger group has a meeting in the afternoon and one in the evening. I might be able to bring more ideas to my current group this way. My LQS owner belongs to at least 3 guilds maybe 4. I think 2 will be enough for me.

I've belonged to a Guild for a number of years and enjoy the people, workshops and programs. When I retired I joined another Guild so sometimes trying to keep up with both keeps me busy but it's fun.

It's worthwhile, but can be challenging. Many of the ladies in one guild weren't very friendly and even after going more than 1 year, many of them wouldn't even say "HI". But eventually I made a few friends in that guild and now I have someone to go to quilt shows and other "quilty" activities with.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast