Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pro's and Con's

Pro's and Con's

Realizing there are no "real" quilting police and "it is my quilt, do as I like",
    what are the pro's and con's of mixing the beautiful batiks with regular 100% cotton
    in quilts? Thanks in advance for your ideas, suggestions and input.

Power Poster
    The cottons will fade quicker then batiks. You might have some problems machine quilting as the tension adjustments may vary between the two. On the plus side, if the colours and textures look perfect together, go for it.

I did it with no problems.
    So much fabric, so little time.

The batiks are a much closer denser woven fabric than the cottons. Short term, the regular cotton fabric will probably shrink more. I haven't washed any that I mixed the two on enough to know if they will fade or not. If you know the item will be washed often, I wouldn't mix the fabrics. But....your quilt....your choice.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I have been reading where batiks quilts that were made some years ago, the fabric has deteriorated in spots. It seems the harsh way batiks are made causes this. Batiks were for clothing but so beautiful quilters had to use it. I wouldn't make a heirloom quilt from batik but still use it. I mix batiks with regular cotton with good results.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Edyta Sitar mixes the two often with stunning results. Many of her designs uses both.
    Here is a video of her talking about her designs and why she incorporates both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r25NJ5nBYJw

I was fortunate to take two classes with her a few years ago and loved her style of using both. I don't always mix batiks and prints but also do not hesitate to use them together - results so far have been good.
    Deb

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who struggled to quilt the batiks in her mixed quilt, she had massive tension issues. She tried several things and found what worked was spritzing fabric silicone spray on the batiks.

I've been mixing them and never gave it any thought. However I prewash everything so maybe that makes a difference. I've not noticed having tension issues moving between them on the LA.

The only problem I've had is that I have experienced more bleeding with batiks than the other fabrics. And that is after prewashing too. At least most of the batiks I've used are multi-color to start with so the bleeding isn't that noticeable to anyone but me.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I've mixed batiks and regular cottons as well as rayon batiks and regular rayons in both garments and quilt for years with no problems quilting or bleeding.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I try not to mix the two just because, no other reason. It is interesting to see the different opinions on this question. Thanks for asking. I've often wondered about that too.

I prewash all fabrics before storing. Mixing them is no problem, l use fine polyester thread and fine sharp needle, and have no tension problems with the mix with my Bailey midarm machine on a frame or my domestic doing fmq.

I choose fabrics for color, so most of my quilts are mixed. I've never had a problem piecing or quilting, but all my fabrics are prewashed. Vintage domestic machine. I do find batiks are a little more difficult to ease in if one side is slightly longer than the other, but it can't be too bad because I've made a Drunkard's Path quilt with all batiks.

I do it all the time. Think of all the combinations you can do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    I love Edyta and her beautiful work. The YouTube video that Costumegirl posted was amuzing, because of Edyta’s accent the “closed caption” kept using different words when she pronounced “batiks.” Sometimes it the closed caption read boutiques, fatigues and even buttocks. LOL
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    There aren’t any ( cons)
    batiks are quilting cottons. Most of the quilts I’ve made over the past 20 years have contained batiks, prints, calicos,
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I've done it with no problems. True, batiks are a tighter weave than regular quilting cottons but over all I mixed them all the time. Haven't really found an issue while quilting either. As whether the cottons will fade first before batiks, can't say what happens.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I mix them on a lot of my quilts. I always pre-wash batiks but not the cottons. Batiks do bleed sometimes. I have never had problems sewing them or quilting them. I use cotton prints and I avoid using cotton solids. They just seem to stop any visual movement that the combination of other fabric create. I am sure that is just a very personal opinion. I like the effect of the combined prints and batiks.

I did a square in a square where all the inner squares were batiks and the rest white cotton and never had one problem.
    I often mix them and never give it a thought. Maybe because I don't expect a problem, nothing goes wrong?
    Watson

I mix batiks and prints. If I like them together, I use them together.

Super interesting. I always assumed it was a no-no because they are different styles. Goes to show what I know.
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

I mix just about everything and anything that's cotton or mostly cotton, and have never had issues. The quilt police never come to my house, so I haven't worried about it. If I like it, I use it! I watched a youtube video just a few days ago by a gal who uses wool, silk, cottons, any natural fibers of all weights to make her quilts. They were beautiful and she had some tips for working with the different wights of fabrics. I can't seem to find it or I would post a link. If I find it I will try to remember and come back to post it.
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

I have never had a problem mixing batiks and prints. Heck, sometimes I get wild and even throw in some solids and hand-dyes too! Never had a problem!
    Living a 1/4" from the edge

Blog Entries
    Never given it a thought. My current project is Kona Snow, Batiks, Kaffe and a few random jelly roll strips.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

To be honest, I don't like to mix them, not because of any problem but when I use batiks I only want batiks. (if this makes any sense!)

I prefer the look of using them separately. There definitely is a sewing difference on my machine.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast