Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quilt in a hoop

OK - so just reading the little blurb the visual I get is it's like paper-piecing??? the fabric is lined up with the design on the stabilizer underneath, flipped and on to the next piece?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shnnn
    OK - so just reading the little blurb the visual I get is it's like paper-piecing??? the fabric is lined up with the design on the stabilizer underneath, flipped and on to the next piece?
    Yes, you're right, it is a lot like paper piecing. I guess that is why I am not too crazy about it. I don't like to do paper piecing.

Blog Entries
    I have a e-mail from Sewing with Nancy.I'm going to order it.
    Connie in CO
    It's in a machine embroidery hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Quote Originally Posted by lovinquilting
    Maybe I need to be clearer. Quilt in a hoop is a method where all of the blocks are totally pieced and quilted in your embroidery hoop. All edges become part of 1/4 inch seams so there is no embroidery necessary to hide unfinished seams. The full explanation of the process is at:

http://quiltinthehoop.com/index.php/...in-the-concept

It looks very interesting and I was just wondering if anyone on the board had tried it yet. While the word cheating may have appeared negative, it certainly wasn't meant to be. I know personally I love cutting and piecing my blocks and thought this method although fascinating, is "cheating" because your embroidery machine is doing the work for you.
    Yes, I have done it. I just find it more time consuming than assembling a quilt square the conventional way. You are doing a lot of double stitching, takes a lot of thread, etc. It is no more cheating than sewing a quilt by machine rather than by hand. We have so many options to us these days, that not trying them all out is cheating ourselves of maybe a new way of doing something. I love the ability to experiment with a new facet of our wonderful craft.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by lovinquilting
    Maybe I need to be clearer. Quilt in a hoop is a method where all of the blocks are totally pieced and quilted in your embroidery hoop. All edges become part of 1/4 inch seams so there is no embroidery necessary to hide unfinished seams. The full explanation of the process is at:

http://quiltinthehoop.com/index.php/...in-the-concept

It looks very interesting and I was just wondering if anyone on the board had tried it yet. While the word cheating may have appeared negative, it certainly wasn't meant to be. I know personally I love cutting and piecing my blocks and thought this method although fascinating, is "cheating" because your embroidery machine is doing the work for you.
    It's a variation on foundation piecing.

I would think the main drawback would be that you're limited to the designs the computer in your machine has. As I understand it, people can program their own designs into their embroidery machines but not everyone has the skills or inspiration to do so.

Then again, I've known people for whom their embroidery machine is like an extension of their own hands. I think for people with that sort of skill and interest level, this would be a great way to do foundation piecing.

Some blocks are easier to piece by hand, but you can add embroidery as well. They can at times be more work,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2