Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt made from men's ties

Blog Entries
    I have a collection of men's ties, some from my husband, and others from my father who passed away 2 years ago. I have about 60, but probably I will need to visit the local Goodwill for more. I would love to make them into a quilt. Does anyone have an idea for a pattern? Should I wash the ties first? Most of them are silk and I am not sure how to wash them.

I've never made one so I'm no help but I have seen some wonderful ones. I can't wait to see yours.

here's my favorite.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-22667-1.htm

She gives all the info for making it in that topic.

http://images.google.com/images?sour...ed=0CC8QsAQwBQ

I did a search and found a ton of patterns- maybe one of these will inspire you... good luck!

Ive made a few of the necktie quilts, mostly used crazy block patterns. They are lots of fun to do!!! I just cut the ties into pieces,pressed them nicely, took out any stained areas, and used a lightweight foundation.
    hope this link goes thru
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...39037944ZtFskG

This is by one of our members here on the board. Check it out and I'm sure you could PM her with any questions you may have.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-38285-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by quilter1
    I have a collection of men's ties, some from my husband, and others from my father who passed away 2 years ago. I have about 60, but probably I will need to visit the local Goodwill for more. I would love to make them into a quilt. Does anyone have an idea for a pattern? Should I wash the ties first? Most of them are silk and I am not sure how to wash them.
    I did a Q sized quilt using ties and the crazy quilt block pattern. I first washed the ties in a lingerie bag and dried them. If they held up and didn't fall apart, then I took them apart and used them in the quilt. I found that there is a chain stitch holding the tie together, and I can usually get it to come apart by starting at the small end of the tie, and just pull it out. I saved the colored lining and tags, but tossed the filler; I couldn't think of a good way to use it. Maybe one of you quilters have an idea? (reduce, reuse, recycle) LOL

That is awesome!

hi, yes, I would suggest you wash and dry all ties first. I made a log cabin and a dresden plate quilt from men's ties, and it does take many!

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    I've never made one so I'm no help but I have seen some wonderful ones. I can't wait to see yours.
    ditto

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast