Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt or Not to Quilt? That is the question >

Quilt or Not to Quilt? That is the question

Quilt or Not to Quilt? That is the question

Old 01-27-2017, 01:33 PM

Follow your heart, you've been thinking about her and she has been thinking about you over the years. Maybe a renewed friendship is in the works.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:42 PM

If your heart wants to gift her a quilt, follow your heart. Choose from your stash and try a new pattern you have been wanting to try and go for it. You will know that you took the time to thank her and reach out to her with a gift from your heart to hers.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

The question is niggling at you so your heart is telling you to do it. It's the brain that is pulling the brake.
I'd say let the heart rule.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:53 PM

Follow your heart.....give heart a quilt
Old 01-27-2017, 02:23 PM

Quilts are both expensive and labor intensive. It does not sound like you are close enough to her to warrant a quilt. Maybe pot holders or a table runner if you do anything? If not just send a card with warm wishes!

Last edited by red-warrior; 01-27-2017 at 02:23 PM. Reason: line dropped
Old 01-27-2017, 02:37 PM

I too agree; go with your first instinct and send her one; she'll appreciate it.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
The only speedbump I can see in a situation like this is one that happened to me - I gave a lovely gift to someone I knew casually, but it made her feel like she owed me. The relationship got awkward after that, and eventually fizzled.

You'd have to be the judge of your own relationship with this woman, but other than that, I say go for it! Maybe, unlike my relationship, yours will grow closer.
Something similar happened to me. There is something very wrong about that kind of thinking. She should just accept the gift and say "Thank you."
Old 01-27-2017, 05:10 PM

I enjoy gifting quilts to whomever they seem supposed to go to. Some stay UFOs forever it seems like and then a particular person comes to mind that becomes the recipient and it/they get finished and I'm amazed at how much gratitude is expressed. One in particular every time I see the person or her mom I get told how much she loves it.
Go with your feelings. What you choose to make - quilt, wall hanging, table runner, tote bag or something else - will be appreciated and might well draw the two of you closer in friendship.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by trolleystation View Post
Follow your heart.....give heart a quilt
I agree. I gave a quilt to an elderly neighbor and I saw the light in her eyes. She was happy to receive it. Two months later she passed away. I'm glad I did it. It warmed my heart.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
if you are feeling like a quilt is too much in such a short time, etc, maybe a tote bag that closes at the top? Most nurses will carry other items to work, like shoes, or sweater, etc. There are several cute patterns out there that use a jelly roll and are pretty easy. one in the BLock magazine from a year or two ago comes to mind.
I think the tote would be the perfect gift because like you mentioned, they carry things to work everyday. Maybe look for a special fabric for the outside and that will make it more special.