Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt or Not to Quilt? That is the question >

Quilt or Not to Quilt? That is the question

Quilt or Not to Quilt? That is the question

Old 01-26-2017, 04:22 PM

Question Quilt or Not to Quilt? That is the question

So a friend of mine that I went to high school with is getting ready to graduate from nursing school. We weren't close in high school, but have been friends through facebook for several years. She helped care for my grandfather- preparing meals, getting meds prepared and administered while my parents were trying to get him into a nursing home (she was paid for her time). And then a couple of years later, her mother passed away. I was not privy to all the nitty gritty details, but she contacted me to vent a couple of times. She has sent a few cards at Christmas etc...I happen to live almost 800 miles away from her. I had the passing thought that maybe I should make a lap quilt for her graduation but then I thought that since I"m not THAT close to her, maybe I shouldn't. I do have several quilts in progress (don't we all?!?) that I would need to work around. I do have until May to figure it out since that's when she graduates. Any thoughts on quilt gifting?
Old 01-26-2017, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

well yes, I think it would be a nice idea and appreciated too. She probably doesn't get thoughtful gifts often, so I say go for it!
Old 01-26-2017, 04:35 PM

I'm always in favor of following a generous instinct when possible. Only you can decide if you have the time to make this quilt, but I have no doubt that your friend would appreciate it (or a pillow, or a pillowcase,...) if you are able to make it for her.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:39 PM

It is always nice to gift a quilt. I'm sure she'd be touched and appreciative.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:56 PM

It doesn't have to be fancy. Warm Wishes or a Jelly Roll Race.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:04 PM

if you are feeling like a quilt is too much in such a short time, etc, maybe a tote bag that closes at the top? Most nurses will carry other items to work, like shoes, or sweater, etc. There are several cute patterns out there that use a jelly roll and are pretty easy. one in the BLock magazine from a year or two ago comes to mind.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:14 PM

I'd say do it. I made a very simple quilt for the woman who was our receptionist when she retired. I was really surprised at her reaction. She was ecstatic. I gave it to her at her party and she even came back to my office before she left to thank me again. I think think your friend would really like it.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:00 PM

I agree that if you have the time to get one done, pick a simple pattern and go for it. You never know how she might respond but it would most certainly be positive. Or as others mentioned even a tote bag or something would be nice. Most of all don't stress about making anything if you really don't want to, she'll never know you entertained the idea lol.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:13 PM

Giving her a handmade gift would be a lovely thing to do. A lap quilt would be nice, but even a table runner or bed runner would be a nice way to honor her achievement. as minibarn mentioned -- don't stress.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:38 PM

The only speedbump I can see in a situation like this is one that happened to me - I gave a lovely gift to someone I knew casually, but it made her feel like she owed me. The relationship got awkward after that, and eventually fizzled.

You'd have to be the judge of your own relationship with this woman, but other than that, I say go for it! Maybe, unlike my relationship, yours will grow closer.