Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt or Not to Quilt? That is the question >

Quilt or Not to Quilt? That is the question

Quilt or Not to Quilt? That is the question

Old 01-28-2017, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

I would say go for it, after all you did go to high school together and have been in touch at times since. Graduating nursing school is major. My son spent 6 years going part time weekends and working a full time job with a 3 hour daily commute. He did quit his job the last year to concentrate on graduating, but also was renovating their kitchen as well. We couldn't be prouder of him, he has a lovely wife and adorable 6 year old DGD, who is the light of our lives. He just started his first full-time nursing job last month. Nursing school is not easy and I'm sure your friend would be thrilled to have a quilt - there are some cute "nursing" type fabrics out there, as well as other beautiful fabrics.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
if you are feeling like a quilt is too much in such a short time, etc, maybe a tote bag that closes at the top? Most nurses will carry other items to work, like shoes, or sweater, etc. There are several cute patterns out there that use a jelly roll and are pretty easy. one in the BLock magazine from a year or two ago comes to mind.
Great idea for a working woman.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:53 PM

I like the idea of a tote, too. And wouldn't it be great if there was a matching insulated bag tucked inside, for her lunch?
Old 01-28-2017, 09:57 PM
Power Poster

Graduating nursing school is a HUGE accomplishment. And you said she helped your parents care for your grandfather, even tho she was paid. I think giving a quilt to an old friend who has shown kindness to your family is appropriate. Why not? And follow your first instinct and make a quilt. Don't downgrade your idea into something smaller! Go ahead and make her a quilt... and be sure and post a picture here, before you send it off, so we can oooh and ahhh.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:52 PM

Equilter.com has a beautiful nursing panel that will fit the theme. I say go for it and follow your heart. This panel would whip up quite quickly. She will be quite pleased.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:49 PM

Thank you all for your input! I will need to decide on fabric to use. She likes all shades of pink. Would doing something with nurse fabric be too kitschy?
Old 01-30-2017, 04:17 AM

I love quilts and enjoy gifting them to family and close friends. However, since you indicated you were not that close to this person, I would not gift her with a quilt because a quilt is both time consuming and costly to make. I would acknowledge her achievement but with something other than a quilt.