Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt shops in Eureka Springs, Arkansas >

Quilt shops in Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Quilt shops in Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Old 06-27-2007, 07:54 AM

Just got back from vacation in NW Arkansas. What a charming town Eureka Springs is!

There are at least 4 quilt shops, so I got to snoop during a rain storm. We were camping on Beaver Lake and I couldn't stay in that tent for a 2nd rainy day!

The Amish Quilt shop was so incredible! No pics allowed, or I would be sharing them here. Those quilts sell for $1200 a piece and more! Perfect little stitches in the hand quilting, although I didn't see any fancy quilting. Mostly in the ditch.

I was disappointed that the shops with "affordable quilts" send locally pieced tops overseas for the quilting, and it looked terrible. Like it was basting, and done by a 10 year old. They were trying to sell everything at 75% off (about $150 for a king size quilt) but I was turned off by the overseas thing, so I didn't even consider it.

Anyway, I highly recommend Eureka Springs if anyone goes that way. So many shops, restaurants, events. Friendly people, and great weather compared to Pensacola!

I wanted to tour the Carrie Nation House, but it was closed when we stopped by. I don't know if she made up that block, or if it was named for her.

Great to be back!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:35 AM

What great timing! My husband and I are leaving for Arkansas on Saturday. I have my Quilter's Travel Companion, and now I have some specifics on different shops. Thanks so much!
Why, I wonder, would the tops be sent overseas for quilting. Seems like it would be more profitable to keep the quilting local and have them done in the good old USA. What a shame. Would think it could be a good way for stay at home moms or others who can't get out to make some money. Sorry, I'll get off the soapbox.
Anyway, thanks for the info.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:36 AM

Julie, you are so right. I too hate things going overseas. They must
look like the ones they sell in dept. stores for 79.00 done in China.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:20 PM

I am from SE Oklahoma and someone from our club tries to go up to NW Arkansas for the shop hop each year. There are TONS up there. Fayetteville has 3 or 4, Bentonville 2, Springdale 2.

The only drawback I've found is that a lot of these shops are buying quilts from the Victoria collection through Branson, MO. They all have that same overseas 10 year old look to them. Sometimes, the weekend is a great time to stop in as they have great deals on books and nifty patterns. Even the phone book up there has a section in the yellowpages for fabric shop, quilting shop etc.

Can't say the rest of the same area is as good. They just built this HUGE multimillion dollar mall and it's interesting to see the downfall of the quality as the price goes up. Shops are still good though.

Melissa