Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it a quilt?? >

Is it a quilt??

Is it a quilt??

Old 10-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Banned

What is the definition of a quilt?

Wikipedia:
Noun: A warm bed covering made of padding enclosed between layers of fabric and kept in place by lines of stitching.

FreeDictionary.com:
quilt (kwilt) n.
1. A coverlet or blanket made of two layers of fabric with a layer of cotton, wool, feathers, or down in between, all stitched firmly together, usually in a decorative crisscross design.
2. A thick protective cover similar to or suggestive of a quilt.

Miriam-Webster:
quilt noun \ˈkwilt\
1: a bed coverlet of two layers of cloth filled with padding (as down or batting) held in place by ties or stitched designs.
2: something that is quilted or resembles a quilt.

And we won't even get in to "quilt" as a verb...

“The definition of a quilt is constantly expanding. The only real requirement is that it must have three layers of material.” ~Sandra Henrich, former executive director, Museum of the American Quilter’s Society (MAQS) in Paducah, KY 3/16/2003

But quilts are not just bed coverings anymore! What about Art quilts? Painted quilts? Are they still quilts? Seems to me, as long as it is fabric-based and has those three layers joined together with stitching of some kind, then it is a quilt.

So my latest "quilt" (lanyard)... has three layers (backing/flannel filler/patchwork top) which I quilted together when I pulled the backing around to the front and stitched it down to bind the edges. It's a 1-1/4" x 38" quilt. And I worked just as hard at the piecing as I do on any of my quilts. I guess I could stitch around each tiny 1/8" block... oh, never mind, guess not!

My true definition of a quilt should also include something about "stitched with love" or "A quilt is a warm hug from Grandma..." and there has to be some definition of a quilt that includes blood, sweat and tears, don't you think?

OK, what started this conversation is something that was said at a recent quilt show:

A Cathedral Window quilt is NOT a quilt.

(hunh??)

It's a coverlet.

(whaa??)

It has no batting.

(are you kidding??)

It may have taken her TEN YEARS to make, HAND-STITCHING each little section one little window at a time, but according someone who heard that someone said that The American Quilter's Society had established this fact, a Cathedral Window quilt is NOT a quilt, it's a coverlet.

(b-b-but!!)

So, what about all those inner layers created by some tricky origami folding then re-folding then stitching back the curve... that's got to be at least four layers, right there... and what happened to all those 47 YARDS of fabric used to create this masterpiece of a....coverlet?? I don't know about this. I'll have to research a bit. A Cathedral Window (quilt) is one of the things on my WHIMM list (works hidden in my mind) that I plan to make, someday. And even if someone who knows someone else who said that such-and-such said it isn't technically a quilt.

Is it, or isn't it? You tell me. I'm anxious to know your opinion!

My latest quilt. Is it a quilt?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]267117[/ATTACH]

Beautiful Cathedral Window (quilt)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]267119[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-267064.jpe   attachment-267065.jpe   attachment-267066.jpe  
Old 10-06-2011, 11:14 AM

That is totally amazing! It fits the letter of most of the description anyway. It is sort of silly to worry about definitions - who cares what "they" think?!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:19 AM

Who defines what words mean? And does it really matter? The meanings of words is in constant flux. The word "coverlet" is nearly moribund - at least in the United States. :)

If you quilt a top to a piece of fleece that is both batt and backing and bind the edges, are you going to let someone else decide whether or not it's a quilt?

You know, it wasn't too long ago that the "experts" determined that it wasn't a "real" quilt if it wasn't hand quilted. Pfffftttt.... who cares? ;)
Old 10-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Meh! I say give one to someone you love and I seriously doubt if they'll call it something other than a quilt. I've heard it said before regarding the Cathedral Windows pattern but for all intents and purposes...it IS a quilt in my opinion. It's all just too silly to give it any more thought than that.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:23 AM

Who let the quilt police loose? Maker defines IMO!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:26 AM

IMHO ... If it looks like a quilt, and warms like a quilt, then it's a quilt!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:27 AM

That is beautiful. I do not understand why they would not consider it quilt, sheesh.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Who let the quilt police loose? Maker defines IMO!
LOL! I was thinking the same thing when I read this post!

Sounds like a quilt police question, or maybe someone who doesn't even quilt, & who are they to say anyway! Nice pics too, thanks for sharing!...
Old 10-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

I will just say -it's not a blanket!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KerryK
IMHO ... If it looks like a quilt, and warms like a quilt, then it's a quilt!
love it!