Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it a quilt?? >

Is it a quilt??

Is it a quilt??

Old 10-07-2011, 04:22 AM

I absolutely LOVE your lanyard!!!Did you have a pattern for it or just make it up as you went along???
Old 10-07-2011, 04:32 AM

That is one beautiful quilt.As quilters we know what quilts are .How can the people who set out there and make up meanings even begin to understand what a quilt is to a quilter.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:42 AM

I think the quilt police are far exceeding their authority!!

Your lanyards are awesome!! What do you use them for? And did you make that Cathedral Windows quilt? Totally beautifully WOW!
Old 10-07-2011, 04:43 AM

I'm of the opinion that our "fore mothers" made a cathedral window to be placed on the bed for warmth and as a thing of beauty. They called it a "quilt", so no more to be said.... It is a quilt!
Mine took over two years to complete. My hubby loves it and he calls it his "quilt"...
Old 10-07-2011, 04:48 AM

If it's big, small, colorful, plain, hand sewn, machine made, or cathedral. If it is made with love (and/or talent) it is a quilt. I even like a lot of the quilts made "off-shore". I appreciate the work that has gone into it and feel sorry for the men and women who make these. They don't get paid nearly what the work is worth. I appreciate the quilts, but I don't buy them. Inferior materials! I bought a beautiful red, white, and blue one. The directions said to machine wash gentle, cold water. I now have a red, light blue, and blue quilt! Not so pretty any more.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
And the heck with the definitions of things .....

I personally want to know more (and see more) about the lanyard you made.
Ditto that.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:53 AM
Banned

sadly when one enters a piece into a Show to be judged/juried, they are entering the "quilt police" professionalism zone..and those who judge/jury do follow the rules & definitions set in place!

If one does not want to play by the rules, then one must keep their treasures to themselves!

A Cathedral window also is not "quilted"...other than the tacking down at intersections, so no it really is not a quilt, but a coverlet..same as the yo-yo quilts!

They are unto themselves a great work of dedication that is for sure!
Old 10-07-2011, 04:54 AM

I love the Cathedral Windows design. I don't care what anyone calls it, it's beautiful!
Old 10-07-2011, 04:58 AM

LOVE your latest 'quilt'. Man, that is TINY!@!

As for your concern about naming the work:

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

I love these kinds of discussions on an intellectual basis but I have a thought on this matter.

All English speaking people can look at grass and call it 'green' (speaking of its color). Calling it green doesn't make it green. And it isn't called green because of the wavelength of light that it reflects. It is called green because English speakers long ago 'agreed' with one another to call that wavelength green. And by and large later generations of English speakers have agreed. With fine tunings like: Forest green, pine green, spring green, yellow green, blue green, teal, etc. ;-) Things are called by names and defined in ways to SIMPLIFY communication. Then you get some intellectual like me pontificating about something to people outside its realm and what is said gets taken as gospel and spread around as fact.

Whatever we call these artifacts of fabric and thread and technology, they are physical manifestations of LOVE. Either love of the creative process, love of the craft, love of the product, love of praise, or my favorite, LOVE FOR THE RECIPIENT. (who is sometimes ourselves ;-) )

So call your lovely pieces and your WHIYM whatever you feel best conveys your meaning, depending on to whom you are speaking. If they aren't versed in quilt speech, it's a blanket/coverlet (which is an honorable thing to be). If they are some sort of pompous expert, call it fabric art, or whatever. Won't make the item itself intrinsically any different or alter its true worth one iota.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:15 AM

I love quilts and pontificate on a regular basis. Its a quilt. Its lovely, warm, and satisfying on so many levels.

Whenever those in authority do not reflect the will of the majority, well, they can be replaced. By the way, there were a couple of Cathedral Windows proudly displayed at the Jacksonville Quilt Show.