Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is it a quilt?? >
  • Is it a quilt??

• Is it a quilt??

Old 10-07-2011, 05:16 AM

I have to say that a cathedral window is not just "tacked down at the intersections" I hand sew all the way around each individual window through all thelayers of fabric.
    That was how a very elderly lady from the Appalachia mountains taught me to do it.
    I also won a blue ribbon at a quilt show with it...

There seems to be a movement in the quilt world right now about what constitutes a "quilt" and what doesn't. The debate will continue but what good does it do in the end????
    Old 10-07-2011, 05:23 AM

Someone on the board regarded batting-less sandwiches as "Summer Quilts." I wouldn't find the word coverlet offensive because it doesn't detract from the effort, love, and time put into it. My first impression when I see a Cathedral Window is to call it a quilt. Hopefully, the QP won't be standing nearby overhearing my exclamations!
    Old 10-07-2011, 05:52 AM

“The definition of a quilt is constantly expanding. The only real requirement is that it must have three layers of material.” ~Sandra Henrich, former executive director, Museum of the American Quilter’s Society (MAQS) in Paducah, KY 3/16/2003

Oh, my word! Did you notice that this former executive director, Museum of the American Quilter's Society used the word "material" instead of "fabric?" She deserves 30 lashes with a loose quilting thread! froggyintexas
    Old 10-07-2011, 06:26 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

WOW !! a quilt is a quilt is a quilt .. and its up to the person who made it .. I make quiltsheets for the grands without batting and the grands call them quiltsheets, just using 2 sheets and appliquing them then sewing them together without any batting for the hot summers. Sometimes I just applique one sheet and give it to them. This came about when my oldgd asked me not to make such a hot quilt.. and that is the beginning of the quiltsheets as she called them !!
    Old 10-07-2011, 06:34 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by laalaaquilter
    Whatever we call these artifacts of fabric and thread and technology, they are physical manifestations of LOVE. Either love of the creative process, love of the craft, love of the product, love of praise, or my favorite, LOVE FOR THE RECIPIENT. (who is sometimes ourselves ;-) )
    Amen, Laalaa!!

To put the situation in a better perspective, I was one of the judges at the quilt show where the cathedral quilt was entered. That's why the information from the show director set me back a bit! But, how do you judge a quilt, a work of art like that, so well done, but doesn't fit into any of the given categories?
    We gave a special Award of Merit to the quilt in its own category, which came with a large blue rosette ribbon and premium the same as all other first place awards in the show.
    Haha, I guess that makes me an official member of the Quilt Police Force. :)
    Old 10-07-2011, 07:00 AM

wow amazing lanyard quilt :) how do you sew all those little pieces?

I love the cathedral window quilts, one day I will attempt one. beautiful.
    Old 10-07-2011, 07:11 AM

Beautiful
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen
    Old 10-07-2011, 07:16 AM

HUMmm Not sure what you would call it but looks like a lot of very good work to me.
    Old 10-07-2011, 07:18 AM

I put together a front, put a middle layer, and a back. I tie my quilts. I feel they are a quilt and that's all that matters
    Old 10-07-2011, 07:20 AM

That's a great idea. Now your quilts can be used year around. Heavy for winter and sheets for summer. Good way for your hard work to be seen all year.