Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt with Wool >

Quilt with Wool

Quilt with Wool

Old 06-06-2012, 04:06 AM

Default Quilt with Wool

You are all fantastic! The answers I got in regards to my binding question was what I needed.

So my question now is machine quilting with wool. I have always loved the look of simple wool patchwork quilts. Yesterday I got tons of wool at Goodwill. I already washed it. Now what?

What should I use for batting? What about backing? Can I use regular thread and needles? What do I use if I want to add ties to it for the look? Whats a good size block to work with? I have a 4in cut template and an 8in. And I am doing it just simple squares.

I am making the first one for my Dad as a Thank You since he is throwing my daughters 1st Birthday Party at the end of the month. He has no blankets at his house I swear! So masculine is important but cuddle on the couch worthy. I am torn on size too! Whats a goodsize for 2 people to cuddle on the couch with?

I am sorry for all the questions. I am still learning. I have really only made one quilt that wasn't patchwork and that was my last one that was bricks and sashing.

I am heading to where my closest sewing store is today (45 minutes away) so if I need to pick up some things today, I will.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:03 AM

If you don't ask questions, you won't learn!!!! First of all, I've never made a quilt with wool....BUT, my first MIL did! She used regular batting (back then you didn't have much choice) and she used flannel for the backing. Remember, wool can get very heavy --- so maybe a lapsize quilt would be best, however, for cuddling on the couch, I think queen size would work best. No matter what size, they'll love it!
Old 06-06-2012, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by samanthaL View Post
...What should I use for batting?
I might use Bamboo batting or even wool. Both are light and cuddly but warm.

What about backing? Can I use regular thread and needles? What do I use if I want to add ties to it for the look? Whats a good size block to work with? I have a 4in cut template and an 8in. And I am doing it just simple squares.
I would use Flannel on the back (it does not slide )and yes regular thread and needles are fine. I would stick to 8" squares (the addition of ties might complicate washing of it afterwards??) - easy to handle and assembles quickly.

I am making the first one for my Dad as a Thank You since he is throwing my daughters 1st Birthday Party at the end of the month. He has no blankets at his house I swear! So masculine is important but cuddle on the couch worthy. I am torn on size too! Whats a goodsize for 2 people to cuddle on the couch with?
Here is a great chart that gives standard sizes as well as mattress sizes and prepackaged batting. You can make it ANY size you want (there are no "quilt police" lol) -which size do you think?

I am sorry for all the questions. I am still learning. I have really only made one quilt that wasn't patchwork and that was my last one that was bricks and sashing. .
Don't be sorry - that's what forums like this are all about!! Keep asking .
Old 06-06-2012, 05:19 AM

OOPS - forgot the link

http://fgqg.com/Quiltsizes.htm
Old 06-06-2012, 05:27 AM

I saw a great, "manly," quilt made out of wool scraps that I want to make for my DH. It was called a "Hobo" quilt. It was made up of all the symbols used by hobos during the depression. The symbols were left to let other hobos know if there was a place to sleep, food served by kind hosts, dangerous place, etc. I think there's a book on it.

Unless it's really cold where he lives, I'd use a thin batting, to keep the overall weight down. You might find a skinny, wool batting to use, so the quilt stays warm, but light. I just ordered wool batting that is washable and fairly thin.

As for thread, there is a wool thread, if you can find it. It's heavier in weight and will shrink around the same rate as your quilt when washed. Otherwise, I'd just go with a strong quilting cotton. I would not use polyester because it will not shrink along with the quilt.

I think that twin size will give them plenty of "cuddle coverage."
Old 06-06-2012, 05:52 AM

Hi! My very first quilt was made with wool yardage that I bought from a Hancock's where my Mom was working. I cut the yardage into squares and sewed them together. I didn't know that I should use batting. I backed it with corduroy. It is a little bit smaller than lap size and that baby is heavy. I made it for my Dad who was ill and cold all the time (despite living in Southern California). I used the envelope method to finish it, so I didn't do a binding. Needless to say I've made a lot of improvements in my technique since that first one! My Dad loved, it though, so that is what counts. Here is my advice, having been where you are.

1. I would go with the 8 inch square size.

2. Try to keep as consistent a 1/4" seam allowance as you can. If you go too large the seams can get very bulky.

3. If you can, I would use a wool batting as they are pretty light but warm. You'll want to keep the weight down if you can. This is important for the receipient as well as for you working with it.

4. I would back with flannel (just make sure that it is prewashed a few times to make sure it is fully shrunken). That would make the quilt super warm and cuddly. Pin really well because even though the flannel is not slippery and will grip the batting (if you choose to use it) or the top (if you don't use batting) the weight of the top will cause some slipping. Especially if you don't have a table to big enough accomodate the entire quilt when you baste it.

5. Tying would be fine and it would give it a nice rustic look. You can just use perle cotton and it won't affect the washing. I would not make them too long and they will wash just fine.

Good luck and we look forward to seeing your quilt. I love working with wool and I know that your Dad will love it. Ask as many questions as you need. I love seeing everyone's questions and I always learn something new!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:00 PM

Thank you everyone! We had a busy day today so my brain is working a little slow so I'm not sure how many decisions I will make but, I may start cutting my squares!

Do I have to use batting? I was thinking of skipping it.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:09 PM

Do I have to use batting? I was thinking of skipping it.
You don't have to use batting if you don't want to. This throw from the PurlBee does not have batting or a backing but they have done the seams in such a way that you wouldn't need a backing. I am sure that yours would be warm enough and heavy enough without batting. Especially if you use something like a flannel for the backing.

http://www.purlbee.com/felted-wool-patchwork-throw/