Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as you Go >

Quilt as you Go

Quilt as you Go

Old 08-20-2010, 12:36 PM

Has anyone had experience with "quilt as you go" or quilting in sections....? How is it assembled, backed, etc. I am interested in trying this but have no idea how to begin...Please !
Old 08-20-2010, 12:39 PM

Betty Cotton has a few books out on quilt as you go. I have some of her patterns and books and am planning on making one one of these. Will post when I do. Just google her name and all kinds of sites come up on the internet.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:48 PM

There are several different ways to go about it. The size of the blocks & overall design will affect which method you choose for your quilt. Which pattern(s) are you considering?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:52 PM

If you click on the tutorials at the bottom of the screen there are two I found on pages 1 & 2. One is listed as QAYG
Old 08-20-2010, 12:53 PM

I took a class on quilt as you go. There are several ways of doing it. I'm not sure I can explain it well, but I'll give it a try for the version I've done.

First, make each block as you normally would.

Second, actually quilt each block with backing and batting. This is pretty easy on a home machine when you're only working with one block at a time.

Third, trim the excess batting and batting from around each block.

Fourth, make the strips that will hold the blocks together. This is done by making two narrow strips. I used a bias tape maker, but it doesn't have to be cut on the bias. Put the two strips of bias tape, right sides together, and sew down the center with a straight stitch, sewing the two strips of fabric together the long way. For example, if you need to put together two 12" blocks, you need two strips of fabric at least 12" long. You can vary the width depending on how much of the blocks you want the strips to cover. Turn them into bias tape (each end folded over to meet in the middle) and sew them together in the middle. When done, you should have one strip of fabric, with a seam up the middle, at least 12" long with four spokes, if you will, coming out of it. Those spokes then get folded over each block, back and front, covering at last 1/4" of the blocks. You then sew the strips to each block, catching front and back with the same stitch, with either a straight or a decorative stitch.

Sew the blocks together in rows, then make longer bias strips to join rows together.

I have no idea if that made sense to anyone but me, but without photos, I did my best!

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 PM

My first quilt class was a quilt as you go. They used the Georgia Bonsteel approach. I hated it. I was very much a beginner at that time, but it seemed like so much work to sew the top of the block after quilted to the next block, sew the batting together and then stitch the backing by hand so that the seam didn't show. We were doing hand quilting. Maybe with machine quilting it would seem like a better option.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

I made one years ago, always planned to make more, just don't think of it when it is time to pick out another. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to another one.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:09 PM

This website has a good tutorial

https://www.baysidequilting.com/store/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=284]https://www.baysidequilting.com/stor...idCategory=284[/url]
Old 08-20-2010, 02:15 PM

The first one I made was quilted block by block as if each were a little quilt then I used sashing strips to put them all together to create a throw size.

The second one I made is a shaggy denim quilt where the arcs of circles (I used old blue jeans) are folded over to the front and squares of batting and fabric (I used hubby's outgrown work shirts) are tucked under the folds before they are stitched down making demim squares on the back of the quilt and a faux cathedral windwows or orange peel on the front. I laid out the squares in a Trip Around the World style and assembled the quilt in sections--9 or 12 patches as a time then in quarters for the final step. Pushing that much denim around is hard work on the shoulders but the technique will work with other, lighter fabrics. You can also sew 2 circles right sides together and cut a slit near where the fold will be to turn them right side out and slip a piece of batting in before sewing the circles together for a more finished look.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Connecting Threads has a free download of quilt-as-you-go coins quilt. It was pretty easy to do.