Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilter/Artist

I read a discussion about this question on a German board recently:

When do you start to consider a quilter as an "artist" or "quilt artist"?

I am really looking forward to you answers.....

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    I consider them an artist with the first cut in a piece of fabric and the first stitches they make. Actually it might be even sooner then that. It is probably when they are deciding on a pattern and the fabric to use. It could be for their not perfect first quilt or the 100th quilt they are making. Once they decide they want to make a quilt their creative/artistic mind is at work. Every quilter is an artist no matter what their skill level is.

I second that very well said!

In my humble opinion, if someone makes a quilt following the pattern directions exactly, using the exact fabrics suggested, he/she is a quilter but not a quilting artist. An artist to me uses his/her imagination to come up with 'new' visions.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    In my humble opinion, if someone makes a quilt following the pattern directions exactly, using the exact fabrics suggested, he/she is a quilter but not a quilting artist. An artist to me uses his/her imagination to come up with 'new' visions.
    I agree with this. Anyone can paint by numbers or follow a pattern but to do it one your own makes you an artist.

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." -Scott Adams This is one of my favorite quotes and goes right along with what lots2do said. Originality is essential for something to be art and the maker to be an artist.

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    I agree with this. Anyone can paint by numbers or follow a pattern but to do it one your own makes you an artist.
    I myself have never used a fabric line and followed directions to a pattern so I had never even given that a thought when I posted my answer. Bringing this aspect to light I agree they would not be an artist. The artist would be the person who does not make a cookie cutter quilt using a kit or someone elses patern, fabric etc. An artist to me would be someone who purchases fabric, not a fabric line, mixes and matches, and picking a pattern or coming up with one of their own. It doesn't have to be the workmanship in the finished quilt but the imagination it took to get it to the point of being a quilt.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Boy, this is a hard one. My son is an artist and he thinks I am but I don't think I am. We go back and forth on this one.
    I call myself creative but I'm not an artist. Oh well, I have fun!! :D

an artist.............

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I call myself creative but I'm not an artist. Oh well, I have fun!! :D
    ditto

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast