Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilter cut off seam allowance. Please HELP! >

Quilter cut off seam allowance. Please HELP!

Quilter cut off seam allowance. Please HELP!

Old 07-27-2014, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

I would just square the quilt up - looks like it needs it - and then attach a binding as usual. I thought you meant that you would be losing points or other important parts of a block, but with this design it really won't matter.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:28 PM

I agree with the others that it won't be very noticeable for this pattern to just do a regular binding, but I think I'd talk to the quilter first to make sure she agrees with your plan.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:50 PM

This is one reason as a long arm quilter i never trim a quilt unless the client gives specific instructions to do so and explains how she would like it done. If you use this quilter again be sure to specify your instructions about trimming. Lack of communication causes most problems. I'd rather call a client several times for clarfication than do the wrong thing.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:33 PM

No way around it, even to add anything you'll take up a seam allowance
Old 07-27-2014, 10:09 PM

I agree with other posters, with this design no-one will notice if you apply normal binding, after all no-one is going to be measuring your blocks will they? Once its bound it will look great, if it had been triangles or diamonds where you loose the points it would have been obvious, but with this design no-one will know the edge blocks are slightly narrowed.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:17 AM

I agree! It is a lovely quilt and a regular binding will be fine. I's also consider finding a new quilter.
Keep calm ad carry on!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:18 AM

I have replaced several double bindings that wore out. Not my idea of a fun job but my quilts get used heavily and that's what they are meant for. My son once brought me one that was so worn that you could see the batting through the top and asked if I could fix it...NO! Time for a new quilt!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:51 AM

Now that I see a picture of your quilt I can't see where just putting on a binding would be a problem. If it was cutting off points then it would be noticeable but with this pattern it won't make a difference. I usually use a 3/8" seam on my bindings and I would even do that here. If someone gets out a tape measure to measure the width of some of your strips then they need to get a life.

Go for it. Bind your quilt and enjoy it.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 AM

I'm not sure what this quilt is being used for? So I would talk to the person this quilt belongs to, are you doing this as a favor, getting paid, just helping out???? If it's a favor or your just helping out - just let the owner know what the problem is and suggest that they come over and see the problem first hand, that way they will see what goes into the work and they will never make this mistake again. And they can help solve the problem. You could use a serger to finish the edges, pick a color to help it look like binding. If your being paid, and you are unable to talk to this person about adding another boarder and batting. Good luck
Old 07-28-2014, 06:38 AM

Square it up and put a binding on it and stop fretting about it.