Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilter cut off seam allowance. Please HELP! >

Quilter cut off seam allowance. Please HELP!

Quilter cut off seam allowance. Please HELP!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Hope she gave you a discount!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
This is one reason as a long arm quilter i never trim a quilt unless the client gives specific instructions to do so and explains how she would like it done. If you use this quilter again be sure to specify your instructions about trimming. Lack of communication causes most problems. I'd rather call a client several times for clarfication than do the wrong thing.
I agree with this answer. I never trim a quilt either unless the customer asks. Some do want it trimmed to the border, but others like 1/4" of batting extending past the border edge. Communication is the key.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:56 AM

I sew anything on all sorts of fabrics. Don't know how it happened but I love to sew. My sewing machines are much loved family members.

It is not unusual that I wind up doing something v-e-r-y, v-e-r-y close to a fabric edge. To lessen the chance of having my seam pull out, I put a strip of easily torn off paper (usually cut off the edge of the newspaper or the paper strip sold for electric calculators) under each fabric edge involved and run as wide a serpentine (emphasis on serpentine!) stitch as I can that will be as unnoticeable as possible. I use the shortest a stitch as I can get by with as close to the edge of each piece of involved fabric as I can. Please note that I do this for each edge of each piece of fabric for the repair, etc. that I am working with. I get a better result when I do it that way.

That sort of stitching will make those edges stronger. And if the fabric is as cheap and yucky as the stuff in the new rv, it is about the only way I have found to keep things from pulling out, other than a thin line of a fray stop liquid that will not wash out of the fabric and which has been run down the edges and and dried before I start to sew the final seam or before the serpentine stitches are sewn. (Blew a bottle on those dratted rv curtains.) Sometimes the serpentine stitches are going to be visible on the outside of the seam line. Matching thread diameter and color as well as is possible helps there.

My attitude is that there are good and sufficient reasons that the particular "heroic" effort was made to save/finish/fix the particular item and anyone noticing the repair needs to mentally congratulate the repairer, smile a lovely smile, and walk on.

Hope this helps. We are on your side.

Oh, one more thing. Hang a large note somewhere that you will avoid that quilter in the future and will make sure to gently insist that anyone doing any sort of future work on your quilts will contact you before they make any irreversible changes to your work. (Aside: I have discovered that making the person smile or laugh at this point of the conversation will ensure the "no irreversible changes" bit sticks.)

Sorry about the length. Hope my "thumb in the dike" ideas help.

P
Old 07-28-2014, 08:00 AM

It is a very happy quilt! Like others have said, I would not be concerned about putting a standard binding on it. Some of it will overlap the quilting, which provides a little extra support for the quilt stitches near the edges. I certainly understand your frustration about the quilt being trimmed. I think, in the end, very few people (if any at all) will notice the difference in proportion near the edges.

Cheers, K
Old 07-28-2014, 08:03 AM

I agree. Normal binding is fine
Old 07-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

Normal binding should work and a new quilter in the future. I prefer the quilter not trim my quilts
Old 07-28-2014, 11:14 AM

I had sent out a quilt to be done, I hadn't used her before and didn't know much about how she did things. But I specifically asked her not to trim my quilt. She sad she always trims the quilts that is how her customers like it. When I got my quilt back she trimmed some edges so close , she cut off a lot of points. There was no fixing that . I will not use her again. I think your quilt will look fine if you just square up the sides.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I would just square the quilt up - looks like it needs it - and then attach a binding as usual. I thought you meant that you would be losing points or other important parts of a block, but with this design it really won't matter.
Thats what I was thinking...but what do I know...yet lol
Old 07-28-2014, 08:46 PM

Your quilt is great! I completely get your frustration!!!! Grrrrrr... But I really think once the binding is on and you will love it again! Your combination of colors is great!!!! It reminds me of a happy summer day and pink lemon/limeade!

Last edited by Auntevie; 07-28-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:57 PM

What are you binding it with? I think a really fun fabric may finish it perfectly.