Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pattern w/out a seam allowance?? HELP!!

Temple, TX (Transplanted from New York 2010)
    HELP ME, PLEASE!!! I am using an orginal pattern, but there are no seam allowances included in it. What do I do? How do I know how much seam allowance to add??? Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

debra

cny_sewer39

MTS
    Banned
    If it's square pieces, you add 1/2" to the measurement for the seam allowance.
    So if it's 4" finished, you cut a 4.5" square.

If it's a finished rectangle, say 3"x6", then you cut the rectangle that is 3.5" x 6.5".

That's not the block size, that's the component size.

Do you have a link to the picture of the block you're trying to make?

add 1/4inch on all sides of all pieces then cut sew with 1/4 seam. Make sence?

Yes, you can tape the original pattern to paper and then draw a cutting pattern 1/4 away all the way around. I read that if you tape two regular pencils together tightly and trace the original pattern with one, the other pencil of the pair will make a line exactly 1/4 away. Use newly sharpened pencils to make nice clear lines. I just did a test, and sure enough, it is 1/4". Hope this makes it easier to do.

How clever! Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by emmah
    Yes, you can tape the original pattern to paper and then draw a cutting pattern 1/4 all the way around. I read that if you tape two regular pencils together tightly and trace the original pattern with one, the other pencil of the pair will make a line exactly 1/4 away. Use newly sharpened pencils to make nice clear lines. I just did a test, and sure enough, it is 1/4". Hope this makes it easier to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramie bj
    add 1/4inch on all sides of all pieces then cut sew with 1/4 seam. Make sence?
    Better to draw the 1/4 around each piece than try to do the math on each one especially if you have triangles or any shape other than sqs or rec.

Banned
    add 1/4" inch all around the pattern.