Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting in the Ditch?????? >

Quilting in the Ditch??????

Quilting in the Ditch??????

Old 10-25-2014, 09:57 AM

All suggestions are helpful. Keep in mind the thread you are using. This morning on Fons and Porter the long arm quilter suggested to use 60 wt thread (thinner than usual sewing thread) and a very neutral color like a cement, light gray. Go slow and remember to breath as you sew.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:33 PM

These comments have all been so helpful. I never thought of using 60 wt. thread like "arenard" mentioned above, but will give it a try. I also liked the comment by "Joan the quilter" on page 4. Yes, you expained it well and it made a lot of sense to me that directly in the seam would weaken the thread. I visualize the needle penetrating the thread in the seam, to possibly split the original thread in the seam now and then, therefore weakening some of the thread in the seams. (if that makes any sense)
Old 10-25-2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I do a zig zag stitch when I do stitch in the ditch. I'm not proficient at FMQ so the zig zag works for me.
That works for me as well. I use a decorative stich with one of my cams on my Rocketeer. Makes the finished line very pretty and hides a multitude of 'sins' when I go off track!!