Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting in the Ditch?????? >

Quilting in the Ditch??????

Quilting in the Ditch??????

Old 10-24-2014, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Like others, I press seams to the side and stitch on the lower ditch side, next to but not on top of the stitched seam. this is the goal, actual execution usually misses the mark at times!
I do this now, too. Several of the instructors on Craftsy classes I have taken addressed SID and recommend doing it this way. I never paid attention to the "lower" side until then. It does look much better and hides the stitching better.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:48 AM

I HATE sitd because it's so difficult to stay right on the seam line so I use the serpentine stitch which is a wavy line and it looks and lays much better and is prettier than sitd.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

I don't quilt in the ditch, too hard to stay in the ditch. I stitch about 1/8 -1/4" from the ditch. Looks much neater to me.
Good luck.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:23 AM

Some block patterns really call for SID because it emphasizes the shapes in the block. I'll probably NEVER make a quilt which is "show" quality, so I call my SID "stitch sorta-kinda close to the ditch, but don't obsess over falling in it a couple of times." The quilts will still keep a person warm.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

I use a twin needle but don't thread the one going in the seam.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:36 AM

I was taught to stitch right next to the seam, not in it. Like everything else, do what you want to.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:38 AM

I have a Janome and bought a SID foot. I sew slowly and the foot also makes it easy to do. Most of the time I SID.
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I stitch right in the ditch. I am lucky and have a Pfaff, and it has a stitch in the ditch foot. That makes it pretty easy for me to do, and SID is my preferred quilting method. (I understand I am pretty rare in that regard. )

Dina
Old 10-24-2014, 05:50 AM

I use the SITD foot but I offset my needle just one click to the side so I'm stitching NEXT to the ditch. But I wobble and veer so sometimes it IS in the ditch, other times it ends up a little further away than I'd like it.

But my quilts are family gift quilts so I don't fret. Nobody will notice or care if I wobble around. I do practice and try to make each one better than the last but that's more for ME than it is for the recipient of that particular quilt.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:56 AM

To me, stitching in the ditch is stitching right on the seam line. Anything else is top-stitching. And that looks pretty neat, too. If you top-stitch on the "high" side, the side with the seams under, you are making your top much stronger.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I stitch right in the ditch. I am lucky and have a Pfaff, and it has a stitch in the ditch foot. That makes it pretty easy for me to do, and SID is my preferred quilting method. (I understand I am pretty rare in that regard. )

Dina
Me, too.

So far, Stitch in the Ditch and straight line machine quilting is as good as I've gotten. I try to get "in the ditch" most of the time! Looks like I missed a bit on this one.

Mostly because I have never been very good at "drawing" - - -
Attached Thumbnails sid.jpeg