Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting in the Ditch?????? >

Quilting in the Ditch??????

Quilting in the Ditch??????

Old 10-24-2014, 07:49 AM

I wear cheap gardening gloves to help pull the fabric away from the seam. I've found using an open toe foot really helps. You can see so much better where you are going. Go slow or at least sew a few inches at a time. I'll have to try the zig zag stitch. I've used a decorate stitch and it makes for a nice finish.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by clem55 View Post
I use a embroidery stitch that goes side to side right over the seam. It looks pretty , plos hides the fact I don't always hit the seam on center.lol
I used the serpentine stitch on the seam with my first big quilt. It hides imperfections very well.

Last edited by dee1245; 10-24-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
OK, I'm the odd one out. I stitch on top of the seam as I find that it gives me more of a cleaner look than in the ditch where it usually looks like I've veered off course more than once.
It is probably unconventional and against all the rules. If I can add that I think it makes the seam sturdier as it is sewn down.
My last quilt I did exactly the same thing. I wanted the stitching to show.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
For the most part I press my seams to one side, so I stitch on the lower side next to the seam. It appears to be the ditch, but not actually on the seam.
I do mine the same. It just makes me feel it is more secure, and since I make user friendly quilts, it works for me.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:29 AM

I do, and I hate it! I prefer the open toe walking foot, I can see the ditch better and tend to get better results.

Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
Do you have the Stitch in the Ditch Walking Foot for your Janome? It makes life a lot easier when ditching a quilt. I have a 6600P.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:38 AM

Good information here. Somewhere in the many quilting books I have read they talk about "stitching in the ditch" and the article said to NEVER stitch directly in the ditch but a thread or two away from where the two pieces of fabric are joined. The reason for this is because if you stitch DIRECTLY over the stitching where the fabrics are joined you will weaken the threads. Makes good sense. I hope the way I have written this makes sense. ;-)) I love to STID when I am not sure of what other kind of quilting pattern to use. A good way also to make a particular piece stand out.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:14 PM

I dislike in the ditch-too hard to stay in the ditch and then it looks tacky.I prefer next to the ditch.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
For the most part I press my seams to one side, so I stitch on the lower side next to the seam. It appears to be the ditch, but not actually on the seam.
Ditto for me too.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:03 PM

I don't know FMQ at all, I do the SID but after a couple of actual stitches in the ditch I always end up sewing right next to the stitch ditch. I'm bass akwards I guess cuz if I try to start stitching right beside the ditch like it ends up being I mess up so mine all start with a couple of stitches right in the seam and then right next to it the rest of the way. Yep I'm a goof
Old 10-25-2014, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use a twin needle but don't thread the one going in the seam.
I like this idea. Going to try it.