Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Fabric, Sticker Shock >

Quilting Fabric, Sticker Shock

Quilting Fabric, Sticker Shock

Old 03-03-2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by LadyElisabeth View Post
$12.70, $14.98, $23.00 a YARD.
Glad I don't need anything. I'll keep downsizing, but maybe keep more fabric than I had planned.
Doesn't Fabric Depot have great sales??
Old 03-03-2012, 08:45 PM

If we start shopping on-line more and stop buying the higher price frabics unless they are on sale, I would think the the LQS would be forced to start carrying more affordable priced fabric and less of the higher priced designer fabrics. This in turn should cause a big impact on the bottom line profits for the designers and manufactures and force them to reduce their price schedule to their wholesale buyers who then should pass the cost reduction on to us, the retail buyers. However, as long as we are willing to pay the higher prices, they will just continue to increase prices year after year.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
If we start shopping on-line more and stop buying the higher price frabics unless they are on sale, I would think the the LQS would be forced to start carrying more affordable priced fabric and less of the higher priced designer fabrics. This in turn should cause a big impact on the bottom line profits for the designers and manufactures and force them to reduce their price schedule to their wholesale buyers who then should pass the cost reduction on to us, the retail buyers. However, as long as we are willing to pay the higher prices, they will just continue to increase prices year after year.
I totally agree - I refuse to pay high prices for fabric - will use my stash and buy sales such as the classifieds here lol
Old 03-05-2012, 10:13 AM

I love reading all your posts and suggestions. I like the better quality, high thread count cotton, and some are only sold to LQS and available at LQS. When I traveled to Europe 15 years ago for Quilt Market and Festival, I wanted to buy fabric to bring home but the prices were high then, I only purchased a few special pieces. I did take fabric with me to France to TRADE and both myself and those with whom I traded did a happy dance.
With more storms in the south, more cotton crops might be destroyed again this year.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbere15 View Post
While I'm visiting my dad in albuquerque, I visited a LQS that deals greatly with southwest designs. So far, I bought two patterns but I fell in love with three others. Two of which they have the kits which would cost $500 dollars. The third one they no longer have a kit, but the pattern is $50. I have until Tuesday to make up my mind if I want to increase my national debt. If I were to pick out my own fabric for the pattern that I'm having dreams while I'm awake and sleeping the cost would be close to $300.
Havent slept a wink all weekend long as I was having dreams about this fabric. Went back to the store today and I only spent $550 dollars and I put half of it back. The good news is that I was able to purchase online and saved 35 dollars in sales tax and I got free shipping. The bad news is I can't show you all what I purchased until next week when I get it.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:29 PM

Our fabric here is $18.95/metre. It hasn't gone up at all over the last couple of years with the cotton crisis so I feel lucky.

I've looked into shopping online and unfortunately, once you factor in shipping, duty, GST...it works out to nearly the same price. I found some fabric I loved onsale for $5.96/yard...the cost for just getting a couple of metres plus shipping made it $16.95/yard...so why wouldn't I support my local shop instead. I get to feel the fabric and hold it (they have lint brushes available for those of us that like to hug up the jelly rolls).
Old 05-26-2012, 03:03 PM

shop yard sales, thrift stores, find out when Fabric Depot is having a sale (like Martin Luther King Day), coupons for Joanne's etc.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbere15 View Post
Havent slept a wink all weekend long as I was having dreams about this fabric. Went back to the store today and I only spent $550 dollars and I put half of it back. The good news is that I was able to purchase online and saved 35 dollars in sales tax and I got free shipping. The bad news is I can't show you all what I purchased until next week when I get it.
"Free shipping" is what I like to hear. I found fabric online this week at a great sale. I was in heaven! I got my order all ready & when it rang up, shipping was $15! I didn't get that much fabric (maybe yards or so) so I was SHOCKED. And I passed on the sale. I know postage has gone up but $15? Connecting Threads has free shipiing. Free is a long way from $15!!!