Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting frame on craigslist >

Quilting frame on craigslist

Quilting frame on craigslist

Old 08-13-2015, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't be concerned that the hoop wasn't stained or finished. Looks like a great buy!
Old 08-13-2015, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
I love to quilt on my Grace frame. I have the Z44, but they are similar. It isn't hard for me to quilt in all directions. Just a suggestion. When buying the frame used, check to see that all parts are there. It is even a better deal if it has the leader cloths and clamps.
I have a hinterberg round 22" hoop floor frame which I got at a great price from a LQS. I LOVE how you can move it in all directions. It was a little hard stretching so I did buy the 18" hoop off EBay. I recommend you look at that. I don't think I could get use to quilting in all directions like you have to do with the Z44 but I have contemplated looking for one on Craigslist or EBay just to do stab basting. Then I would quilt it in the Hinterberg hoop. Does that sound like a reasonable alternative to pin basting or basting with the boards (Sharon Schamber)?
Old 08-14-2015, 02:34 AM

Don't want to scare you out of this..but be sure and take a guy with you when you go look at this. Sometimes creeps will use an item that will lure a woman and post it at a really good price to get her there.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:50 AM

This is my favorite quilt frame. Easy to move the quilt to change direction of quilting.

http://www.ulmerquilter.com/
Old 08-14-2015, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
Don't want to scare you out of this..but be sure and take a guy with you when you go look at this. Sometimes creeps will use an item that will lure a woman and post it at a really good price to get her there.
....isn't it sad that we have to think like this, but so true!
Old 08-14-2015, 03:51 AM

Yes, i am well aware of the dangers of craigslist. Such a sad world we live in.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:19 AM

My concern is, do you like hand quilting. What will become of the frame if you decide you don't? Yes, if you are going to get it. Stop with a lower offer, possible even half and work up from there if needed.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:21 AM

This is similar to the one I have. I like it, because you can rotate the frame, so you only need to know how to quilt in one direction. It takes up less space and can be stored behind a chair or couch. And that's a very good price.

As for finishing it, just lightly sand with a fine grit sandpaper and wipe the pieces to remove all the sanding. To keep the natural color of the wood, rub with tung oil. Otherwise you will need to stain it.

Originally Posted by Flowergurl View Post
I found another one.
http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/art/5153616648.html

This looks like a great deal. The only thing is it was never stained or
finished with anything.
The Grace website says to finish the wood to protect it and to keep it
from warping. Should i be concerned about warping if it was kept inside and
in very good shape?
Old 08-14-2015, 06:39 AM

I will gift it or resell it if i decide i don't like it. It's such a good price for the whole thing. Just a basic hoop would cost 20.00-30.00 by itself.
Thanks for the finishing instructions Mckwilter. The tung oil soaks in and doesn't leave a residue ?
Old 08-14-2015, 10:52 AM
KLO

Personally I think that second frame is a better deal for several reasons. One is the fact that you are not yet a hand quilter but that you want to try hand quilting. Although you probably still have to baste the quilt, you can set that square frame up at whatever height you need and it rotates so you can quilt from any angle.The big bonus for me would be the spot to put a light (and it's included) so you can see what you are doing. Plus, it certainly will not take up nearly as much room and it is very portable so you could take it out and about or fold it up and put it away when not needed. I bought an unfinished frame many years ago and since I wanted it darker, I stained it and sealed it. You could just put a coat of some kind of sealer on it and it would be fine. Not difficult at all.
Good luck with whatever you chose. Remember, hand quilting is like any other skill such as playing the piano or learning any sport, you need to practice it every day to get comfortable and good at it.