Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting frame on craigslist >

Quilting frame on craigslist

Quilting frame on craigslist

Old 08-14-2015, 12:38 PM

I sent the money today to a relative to pick up the second frame for me today.
She is off camping, but will check on it for me next week.
Hopefully they will still have it.
I will swing by her place next month when i go on vacation and pick it up on my way home.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:45 PM

I, too, wanted to try a floor frame thinking that, IF I LEFT THE FRAME UP, that I would get more quilting done. One of the QB members who lived a few hours away, was so nice to allow me to borrow her frame and try it.
I cannot lie----after 3 weeks, I hated it. I had been used to quilting in my lap and was not able to be the contortionist that I needed to be in order to quilt in all different directions.
Another difficulty for me was that I was used to quilting a block at a time....only dreaming of how I would quilt the next block while I was working on the first one. I was not prepared to quilt the borders at the same time as the blocks.
It did not work out for me. I love quilting in my lap (not even using a hoop). I baste my quilt per Sharon Shambers instructions on you tube and do not need a hoop. Lap quilting is so relaxing for me---the frame was NOT!

Good Luck with your decision! I did not believe it until I tried it...I had pictured myself quilting away on a frame so I was predispositioned to LOVE IT---But that did not happen.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:55 AM

I think you will like a floor frame. I have a floor frame and i do quilt in a hoop when i travel, but still prefer a floor frame because it is much easier to move the quilt around after i have finished quilting an area.

I am not sure what some are talking about quilting in all different directions, I only quilt towards me or in side to side.

A frame w/ rollers takes up a lot of space because the rollers are probably wide enough for up to a king-size quilt, unless they come in varying widths, depending on the size quilt you're working on.

A Frame like the Ulmer reminds me of a hoop w/ legs on it. It is a bit smaller and the quilt hangs over the sides.

If you have never quilted before, try a smaller project, one that you are apt to finish. Hand quilting takes a long time. And whoever made the statement about leaving it up is so true. Mine is up in my room i watch tv in - i can sit down any time and quilt whenever i am watching tv.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:24 AM

My first project is going to be a lap quilt made out of sampler blocks. Also I have a twin size quilt top i made for my GD.
I am going to try my hand at tying that one. It is just simple rows of squares, so it should work out fine for that.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:05 AM

It sounds like a good deal. You'd have to have the space to leave this frame set up for awhile. I use a Hinterburg round frame with or without the stand.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:43 AM

I got my Z44 for $62.50 at a thrift store, in like new condition, on their 50%off day sale. Am looking forward to trying it. I have always done lap quilting for my hand quilting projects. It is sitting in my living room because I don't have any place else to put it. By seeing it every day, hopefully it will inspire me to give it a try soon.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:13 PM

My niece picked up the grace hoop 2 today for me. I will go visit her next month and bring it home.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:59 PM

Yay! I'm happy for you! I be you can't wait to get it!
Old 08-21-2015, 10:55 AM
KLO

Nice! Good luck with your new adventure!