Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 11

Thread: Quilting Labels on Quilts you Gift.....

Blog Entries
    I cut a square, turn under a quarter inch all around and iron, hand stitch 3 sides, slip the fabric in and stitch the 4th side closed. I put it on the back. Sometimes I slip the fabric under the label and sometimes the pocket will fit right on top of another matching block.

Beautiful...can't ask for more. Good idea.

I quit often embroider in the right bottom corner made by me and the year.

I quit often embroider in the right bottom corner made by me and the year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grammysharon
    I put a quilt label on everything I make. If it is a gift I just put " Presented to blank blank on their blank birthday or whatever. Some have poetry or bible verses etc. I try to make them personal. Always date it, my name and city where it was made.
    My quild charity quilts do not want labels with our names on the quilts. Somtimes I've put my name on,then decide to donate but can't because of the label.
    I forget to put the labels on if I put them away then give them to someone. It's not fun having memory issues.

In the past I didn't because it felt kind of "self-important" to me, like I was a little too proud. But I have recently done it because of the many reasons previously mentioned. I usually put my name, city, date, who it was made for and why, and a thoughtful sentiment appropriate for the occasion. I think it has been appreciated by the people who have recieved my quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsk
    I haven't done this in the past because I honestly didn't think about it. But as I've done more quilts I think it's important. If you have a quilt that has been passed down in the family, if there isn't someone around to tell you about it you have to guess who made it. I have a couple of quilts from my grandmother (who passed in 1956) and I wish I knew more about them. I know one of them was made from my grandfather's suits but only because someone knew about it. It was a crazy quilt and very heavy. A lot of wool in it and cotton batting.

I would say not only label it but if there is something special about it, add that too. If it was a specific pattern or blocks, you might want to add that to. JMHO
    If you know the history of your old quilts, make up labels and put on the back. That way your family down the way will know who made them. I always put on labels ,who made them -who for and what was the reason and what they were made out of like your grandfathers suits. If I had an old quilt I would like to know what ever there was about it even if I need to put on the labels myself. You will be glad you did.

I've never really liked the look of labels, I have to admit, I think they take from the look of the quilt, especially since I use coloured backings. So I just write my name and the year. For an art quilt which I entered into a competition (the one in the avatar), I wrote the quilt's name as well. That said, I don't like naming quilts, and even if forced to call it "Winged Isis" I just think of it as the Isis quilt, or the seashell quilt, or the turtle quilt, or cousin S's baby quilt etc.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 11