Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would some of you be willing to post pictures of your quilt labels that you make?

Would some of you be willing to post pictures of your quilt labels that you make?

Hi. I would like to see what people are doing for labels. Would some of you post yours here?

Super Member pastimesquiltdesign's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like to use an extra block from the quilt as my label. Peggy
    Happy quilting to all of my new friends on the quilting board http://pastimesquiltdesign.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    Hi. I would like to see what people are doing for labels. Would some of you post yours here?
    Here are a couple of mine. I design them in MS Publisher and print them on ink-jet printing cotton. Then I remove the backing and stitch them to the back of the quilt.
    Hope this helps you. You may PM me with your email address and I will send you more if you are interested.
    Blessings, Roberta
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a sample of a couple of mine.

Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

I hand quilt, and I had write a label and sew it to the back. I try to put the history of the quilt on the label since it seems like I've been completing other people's projects......(which is great!!)

This is the front of the quilt and the label that I put on the back...When I completed the quilt, we showed it to the woman that donated the blocks and she was so happy and said that her aunt who have been very pleased.

my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Lovely Labels, Ladies ... and now you have us intrigued as to the quilts they belong to!!

I don't have an inkjet printer, so can't print them ... printer is on the "to buy" list.
    So far, my method is to use Sharpie pens and freehand write.
    I like to use a light fabric from the front of the quilt for the label.
    I don't have an embroidery machine, though have a friend from this Board who has done a couple for me.
    Now mine look shabby and I'm looking forward to having a printer to do so ... or have her make more!

When I attach the labels, I often include an extra block from the front of the quilt. Also, I'll frame the label with one or more of the fabrics used.

RobertaMarie (Others Too!) ... Rather than hijack this thread, would you be so kind to drop by this thread I started, and offer your insights ..... http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t176548.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I know QuiltE - I was thinking the same thing w/the embroidered labels...But, when I gave a quilt to my mom that I had made from scraps of her mother's, she appreciated the hand-written label. I think it probably depends. Since I hand quilt, there is something that I can't wrap my brain around - having a computer generated ink label on a hand quilted quilt...LOL!!!

I am usually in too much of a hurry to embroider the label w/ all of the info I want on a label.

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    I know QuiltE - I was thinking the same thing w/the embroidered labels...But, when I gave a quilt to my mom that I had made from scraps of her mother's, she appreciated the hand-written label. I think it probably depends. Since I hand quilt, there is something that I can't wrap my brain around - having a computer generated ink label on a hand quilted quilt...LOL!!!

I am usually in too much of a hurry to embroider the label w/ all of the info I want on a label.
    Now that makes sense ... and yes the handwriting does seem to personalize.

However ... I can never seem to get the fabric to sit still even when pressed onto freezer paper and keep it from slipping as I write. So how do others get it to be as "solid" as writing on paper?
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I use a Sharpie marker and I don't cut my label to size until I've finished writing on it. That is probably the medium point sharpie. I find using the fine point doesn't move over the fabric as easily. I do have a Pigma pen (?) That i'm going to try on the label for the quilt that I'm currently working on.

Blog Entries
    I usually write mine out by hand using a Micron Pigma pen. I usually use muslin and leave it larger till I get it done. I iron the muslin first, then I use a large index card and draw around it with a disappearing ink pen. I put the fabric on a piece of ultra-fine grit sandpaper and write what I want (in the box I made by tracing around the index card), using the Pigma pen. The sandpaper keeps the fabric from slipping around. When I finish my writing, I trim the fabric about a half inch away from the the drawn line, turn under all the way around, pressing as I go, then hand applique the label to the back of my quilt.
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

I always press the fabric, usually muslin, onto freezer paper first. Then use Pigmas to write on them. Sometimes I use the printer, either by laminating fabric/freezer paper or buying the pre-laminated sheets. They are costly, but don't risk catching in the computer.
    Last edited by LynnVT; 02-20-2012 at 06:47 AM.

I'll have to try the freezer paper and sandpaper when I get ready to do the next label. I do try to include enough of the history that if the quilt ends up at the Goodwill, the person who gets it will appreciate the history. We all are curious to the stories a quilt could tell if it could talk!

These were all done on Printed Treasures with an ink jet printer. I also print and add a label for my longarmer (a good friend) on all quilts she does for me (she did all these). They are designed and printed using MS Publisher.

The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Great labels!!!!

Blog Entries
    Very nice labels,I have bought some fabric labels cut them apart then copied on my computer then printed on to fabric saves money!!!!
    You know if your a quilter when you cleanup your sewing room and your family thinks your moving out!! Author U/K Sue

I bought several label panels. Iron on wonder under, write message, cut label to size leaving about 1/2'' around. Turn down top and one side. Iron on and then sew raw sides to corner of quilt and hand sew turned edges. Bind, folding binding over raw corner. I also take a micro pen and somewhere on the front of quilt, put the owner's name, extremely small and date if room. That way, if taken and label is removed, you still have proof who it belongs to. Good for college quilts.

Thank you very much! I appreciate it immensely. These ideas are great and it is interesting to see the variety!

Banned
    I make mine from a stencil from The Stencil Co
    I usually ink it in both the design and name and other information.
    At one time there was a cd that had labels on it for both the straight line stitching as well as embroidery.
    I believe it was from Bernina. There may be other cd's with labels on them
    There is also a book by Susan McKelvey of label designs.

You can also get any number of books and/or CDs of frames and borders from Dover Publications. Use them for the outside edges and write or print what you want on the inside.
    http://doverpublications.ecomm-searc...0and%20borders
    They have frequent sales and you can get on their email list for a weekly email of free samples if you want. Their books are great, as is their customer service. One of the very best sources for copyright free images, too.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I use Wonder Under. I draw lines with a Sharpie or other fine line marker on the paper side of the Wonder Under. Then I fuse it to my label fabric. I write the label with a ZigWriter, peel the paper off and turn the edges under and fuse it to my quilt. Then I hand stitch the label down.

Blog Entries
    Here's one I made for a doll quilt swap. The bobbin thread did something peculiar and made the word "always" come out in a different color!

Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Here is the quilt and label I made for our first grandchild from squares my Mom had cut.

Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

One thing I do is to make sure the label is part of the backing, not just handsewn to it. I will cut out an area, and then 'insert' the label and sew it back in.

Thanks for sharing all these labeling methods.
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

label

This is printed on a Printed Treasures fabric sheet using the computer printer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast