Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Timely post and willing neighbors = recovery quilt >

Timely post and willing neighbors = recovery quilt

Timely post and willing neighbors = recovery quilt

Old 05-04-2014, 01:07 PM

Default Timely post and willing neighbors = recovery quilt

The morning I saw dcquilter's post, Scrappy Blue/Brown Yellow Brick Road, our dear neighbor came over and said he was diagnosed with cancer. I immediately ordered the Comfort of Psalms panels and received them the day after Easter. I started cutting scraps (red, white, blue and gold) as soon as I got the panels and could size the blocks. I didn't have the Yellow Brick pattern but could figure it out pretty much from the posted picture. I thought it would be a great get well "card/quilt" from the neighbors. Three neighbors are beginning quilters but they readily agreed to help out when they saw how simple each block was. Each of the 3 took 14 blocks, which left me with 14 as well. Our fourth neighbor has 5 kids (7-15), and not knowing if she sews or even if she has the time, I enlisted the entire family's help in making the quilt label, a rather large 8 1/2" x 11" colorful get well wish we could all sign. I think the kids will actually upstage the quilt with their artwork : ) We all met last Tuesday evening (after I got back from Paducah) to use my design wall. I sewed all the blocks together on Wednesday, pieced the flannel backing and sandwiched on Thursday, and quilted and bound it on Friday and Saturday. I wanted to complete the quilt in time for our neighborhood eat-out Saturday night. That way everyone could see their handiwork and sign the label. I finished at 3:45 pm! LOL Today I finished sewing on the label. Our dear neighbor is due to return home from surgery mid-week and it is our hope that the quilt will provide a reminder of how special we think he is: on his Road to Recovery. I think it was Divine Providence that I saw dc's quilt on the very day I needed a simple idea for a friend in need. She was delighted I could use her idea for such a worthy cause. Thanks again dc!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]474519[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]474520[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails recovery-quilt.jpg   edited-label.jpg  
Old 05-04-2014, 01:11 PM

What a way to all pull together! Everyone should be so proud of their handiwork and more importantly helping a friend in need.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:19 PM

Amazing-how all of the neighbors didn't even hesitate to help out someone dear. What a great feeling everyone must have. Beautiful quilt and beautiful art work and quilting. Everyone put their own talent to work. Thank you for sharing and we pray for your neighbor.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

very nicely done
Old 05-04-2014, 02:09 PM

What a wonderful thing to do for a neighbor. Your quilt and label are beautiful, I know the recipent will treasure it.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:11 PM

Wow, that turned out great! Your friend is blessed to have such good neighbors! Sending best wishes and prayers to him too! And I love the label as well!
Old 05-04-2014, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

​Great quilt and gift!
Old 05-04-2014, 03:09 PM

Amen! and Amen again!
Originally Posted by dcquilter View Post
Wow, that turned out great! Your friend is blessed to have such good neighbors! Sending best wishes and prayers to him too! And I love the label as well!
Old 05-04-2014, 03:46 PM

Absolutely wonderful, y'all did a marvelous job on it!!!
Old 05-04-2014, 03:57 PM

loved your story, how very thoughtful...